1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working on H4 - Ron Please advice

Discussion in 'Non-working nonimmigrant issues' started by VishalG, Mar 20, 2009.

1. VishalG

VishalG Junior Member

Who will be held responsible if a H4 is working and is geing paid in cash? My wife is my H4 and is working for a company who is paying her in cash to avoid a paper trail. I told her immense number of times o stop working as it is illegal o be working. Yet she refuses and says no one will know. I am so tired of trying to tell her. The company knowing she is on H4 hired her.

Now if some does find out or gives a complaint. Who will be held responsible for it? Will it be her as she is the one working or will it be me as she is my dependant? Is there anything I can do to cancel her visa as she is working here illegally, I am just scared that something will come on me. I am tired of trying to explain to her hat she should not

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Working on H4 - Ron Please advice

She is out of status for having worked and the employer is in violation of the law for having employed her, knowing that she does not have employment authorization. As you point out, the issue is the paper trail. At the same time, if ICE unexpectedly arrives and finds her, the paper trail won't matter. The same is true if a disgruntled co-worker calls ICE.

3. piyu7444

piyu7444 Senior Member

Ask your wife to stop working one more time and ask her employer to stop hiring people without legal work authorization. If either of them do not listen to you tell them that you will call ICE.

Dont call ICE though but get them to do the right thing.

** This is just my opinion, you may do it or not do it after you think about the consequences it might have. After all she is your wife :)

4. VishalG

VishalG Junior Member

If someone of her co workers are to complain to ICE who would be responsible? Would it be me as she is my H4 or would she be responsible??

5. piyu7444

piyu7444 Senior Member

Not ansering for Ron so do not get confused.

She will be responsible for her actions as she is the one breaking the law but as you know about what she is upto, you can get caught in it atleast to some extent if not fully. If I am wrong Ron will correct me for sure.

6. Ron Gotcher

If an H4 works without permission, he or she will be in violation of status. This does not affect the H1s status, however.

7. dell71

dell71 Junior Member

Have you considered domestic violence? Just kidding!
    I dont know if I should appreciate your patience in this regard or to denounce selfishness about just worrying about your status!
    Make it clear, if the marriage has to work, then such illegal activities will not be entertained!

8. Marry

Marry New Member

how n where can one complaint about a working H4?

9. Ron Gotcher

Contact your local ICE office.

10. pmbs

pmbs New Member

Can a h4 work for cash in hand Job? In what condition can we inform ?