1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's In Store For Legal Fb Applicants?

Discussion in 'Visa Modernization' started by sigler, Nov 30, 2014.

1. sigler

sigler Junior Member

Hey Ron, now that a few days have passed since the President announced changes in immigration policy, what do you think could benefit people waiting in line in FB categories? Is depedent removal from the quota the only thing we can hope forin the short term? You've stated on other threads that the EB visa bulletin would become instantly current for all categories if dependents are not counted, how about FB categories? Would all categories become current as well? Thanks!

2. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

There is no change for FB

3. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If they reinterpret the quota chargeability statute so that dependents are no longer counted, look for FB cutoff dates to advance substantially. I really don't see how they can change it for EB but not FB.

4. bca94

bca94 New Member

Hi, just wanted to ask if within the visa modernization will there be any measures or actions taken for family-based petitions.

5. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Just like Ron said in its earlier post - if the statute reinterpretation happens, it will likely happen for FB categories too which will advance the dates significantly.

6. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I have to disagree with Ron on this one.

7. bca94

bca94 New Member

I hope that won't be the only thing for family based applications. I've read comments from lawyers and immigration organizations sent to the visa modernization to create provisional priority dates so one can file for adjustment of status earlier. Same as pre-registration for I-140 but whenever they were referring it to family applications they would refer it as "provisional priority dates". But it seems the same as pre-registration to me: Applying for adjustment of status earlier, EAD, travel authorization, being able to freeze the age of a child for CSPA, etc.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. sigler

sigler Junior Member

Any news on relief for FB applicants? I haven't anything lately on the media myself, starting to think there will be absolutely nothing.

9. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If you look at the White House goals, reposted at http://www.immigration-information....treamline-legal-immigration.18035/#post-85491, you will see

Reducing family separation for those waiting to obtain LPR status.
    Due to barriers in our system, U.S. citizens and LPRs are often separated for years from their immediate relatives, while they wait to obtain their LPR status. To reduce the time these individuals are separated, DHS will expand an existing program that allows certain individuals to apply for a provisional waiver for certain violations before departing the United States to attend visa interviews.

10. sigler

sigler Junior Member

So, again, the administration is only rewarding those who broke the law one way or another. Nothing in store for people who play by the rules.