1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Does "5 Years Of Relevant Experience" Actually Mean?

Discussion in 'How to start the green card process' started by CindyLau, Aug 6, 2015.

1. CindyLau

CindyLau New Member

I am currently a financial services consultant on my 4th year of H1B. I have a US Bachelor’s degree in Finance and Accounting. I am considering switching a job to doing something more technical, along the line of a business analyst or data analyst in the technology industry, and wondering what the impact is for my green card application process.

I spoke to an immigration lawyer for 15 minutes for pre-consultation about my options. She advised me that if I switch, I may not qualify for the “5 years of relevant work experience” requirement for EB2 (or even EB3) because of the different job descriptions (from consulting to business / data analyst). I may have to start all over again. She said that if I want to make sure I don’t waste my 4 years of experience, I should find a job with a job description that’s 95% similar to my old job.

As an experienced lawyer, do you agree with her advice about 95% similarity? I’m sure there have been other people who switch their job functions – how do they navigate the relevant experience requirement? Thank you very much for your kind help and expert opinion.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I don't believe that 95% similarity is necessary, but there must be a clear nexus between your experience and the new job offer.

3. CindyLau

CindyLau New Member

Thank you for your reply, Ron. I understand that this question will vary on a case-by-case basis, depending on the specific job descriptions. Is there some sort of a rough guideline for this somewhere? Perhaps on your website or on your forum? Thank you so much for your help.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

It's more a rule of common sense. Would a reasonable person conclude that the experience qualifies the applicant to do the job, as described?