1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visa Validity On Passport Or I-797 End Dates?

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Validity' started by aryank2000, May 15, 2016.

1. aryank2000

aryank2000 Junior Member

Hi all. I am applying for my H1b visa at a consulate. My passport expires in SEP 2017, but i got my I-797 until SEP 2018. My question is: if my visa gets approved, what would dictate the expiration date of visa? In other words, (provided all my documentation is correct), would it be SEP 2017 or SEP 2018?

2. Santy

Santy Guru

Your visa is till September,2018. You don't need extension with current employer. Is it a transfer or amendment case? If not then just go ahead and apply for the renewal of passport. As far as I know, renewal of new Indian Passport can be done if you fall within 365 days.

3. nikita

nikita Junior Member

Santy is correct. Your visa will be up to Sep 2018. However when you enter US, at POE they usually gives I-94 valid till passport expiry date if that comes first.

Santy and s_gan like this.
  4. SSLM

SSLM New Member

Hello,

I have a query about passport expiry date. I got I-797 approved and my validation date till 2nd sep 2019. My passport is expiring on 30th Dec 2017.
    I have scheduled my VAC on Dec 30th 2016 and my Visa Interview on 27th Jan 2017.
    I have 3 questions? To avail full 3 years visa as per my I-797 without facing any I-94 or extension later point.

Is it advisable to renew my passport after VAC and before Visa Interview (27th Jan 2017) ? If yes, my DS-160, I-797, I-129, Visa fee & VAC done using the old passport only. Can they agree my new passport and stamp in my new passport ?

Or Is it advisable to renew my passport after Visa Interview or stamping ?if yes, my DS-160, I-797, I-129, Visa fee, VAC & Visa Interview would have been done using the old passport only at that time. Will the immigration officer at india or usa agree my new passport because my old passport will be cancelled once I renewed?

Or I should only travel with my existing passport ? and use I-94 for extension ?

Which option is hassle free ? as I am expecting my depended to be added soon.
    Kindly advice asap and my interview in yet to attend in a month.

Kindly advice