1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visa Stamping

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Applications' started by friend1201, Nov 12, 2015.

1. friend1201

friend1201 Member

Will a handwritten passport correction by an Indian consulate office create any problems for the passport holder at his US visa stamping interview after November 24, 2015?

International Civil Aviation Organization rule that all passports must be Machine Readable Passports takes effect after Nov 24th.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

All passports must be machine readable. Why was it hand written ?

3. friend1201

friend1201 Member

The consulate incorrectly printed his mother's name where his father's name should be on the back laminated page of his new passport.
    It was their error. All the information submitted for his 10 year passport reissue application showed his father's name correctly.

When I took it to the consulate office here in the US earlier this week to ask them to correct it, the office returned the passport to me with a handwritten note on the page facing the page with an error on it.

They are refusing to give him a new passport.

Someone at the ICAO has told me this handwritten correction will likely cause him problems when he travels.

What can I do to convince the consulate they need to correct their error properly by giving him a new passport, if anyone has any ideas?
    My friend is due to travel mid-December to India and will need to get his visa stamped at that time so that he can return to the U.S.

4. friend1201

friend1201 Member

Would a handwritten correction of the father's name on the back laminated page of his passport make his passport
    a Non-Machine Readable Passport?

5. iDreamer

iDreamer Member

Any extra documentation/affidavit like the correction was done officially by government should help you.
    Without supporting documents everyone may look at the correction as a forged document.

6. friend1201

friend1201 Member

The consulate did stamp the page that they made the correction on; however, the ICAO has told me that the handwritten correction will likely cause him problems when he travels. The person who responded to me told me they were not allowed to get involved in 'state issues', so I am looking for someone else to confirm that this handwritten correction makes his passport a non-Machine Readable Passport for purposes of the new ICAO law.

7. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

http://www.icao.int/Security/mrtd/Pages/24-NOV-2015.aspx

Why don't you tell them that hand written passports are not acceptable ?

8. friend1201

friend1201 Member

I did tell the consulate, but they told me that they have been using these handwritten observations to correct mistakes on passports. The office refused to reissue his passport when I took it in on Monday.

After that, I wrote to the Consul General. Now, they are going to reissue him a new passport with same day turnaround next week.

A note of warning to anyone in the Chicago jurisdiction: if the consulate has made any handwritten 'observation' on your passport to correct the printed information, you will very likely have a problem with obtaining a visa from some countries after November 24, 2015.

Thank you for your responses, s_gan, dondraper, and idreamer.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  9. sri1979

sri1979 Well-Known Member

Can u provide me the contact of consul general of Chicago. I have a observation done and would like to get it corrected and BLS is not in agreement to issue a new passport.

10. Legal Immigrant

Legal Immigrant Banned

Address Of The Consulate

455 N. Cityfront Plaza Drive, Suite 850
    NBC Tower Building
    Chicago, IL 60611
    Tel: (312) 595-0405 & (312) 595-0409

11. friend1201

friend1201 Member

It will probably do you little good to call the numbers posted on the consulate's site.

I suggest that you write to the Consulate using the email address provided here: http://indianconsulate.com/page/display/56/11. Make sure to provide your passport number in your email to them. Try to deal directly with the consulate on this without BLS' involvement. If they want you to go through BLS, push back as much as you can.

The man listed at the bottom of the page as S. No 2 will likely be the person to respond to you. I know he is fully aware that your passport needs to be reissued if it has a handwritten observation in it.

When was the observation made in your passport? Based on some information I found online, I believe the Indian consulates were first told to stop doing this as far back as January 2010.

For some reason there is nothing noted about the observation problem on the consulate's site or on BLS's site. Here are just 2 examples I could find of what the Indian consulates around the world have been told about this:

http://cgijeddah.mkcl.org/downloads/MRP1709.pdf:
    "Consulate General of India, Jeddah

September 17, 2014 Press Release
    The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has set deadline of 24th November, 2015 for globally phasing out all non-machine readable passports and foreign government may deny visa or entry on such passports. The following Indian passports are considered as non-machine readable: (i) All handwritten passports; (ii) Short validity passports revalidated by handwritten entry; (iii) Any particulars added or deleted with observation; (iv) All 20 years validity passport. Indian citizens are advised to change their passport to machine readable passport at the earliest opportunity and positively before the due date to avoid inconvenience while traveling.”

http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/france/re_issue_passport.html:
    "In compliance with the regulations of International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), only machine readable printed passports are now to be accepted for international travel.

Indian Passports are generally issued with a validity of 10 years (except in the case of children up to the age of 15 years where it is issued for a validity of 5 years). Their re-issue thereafter involves the issuance of a new passport. Wherever any change are required in personal particulars pages of the passport, a new passport needs to be obtained as the practice of hand written endorsements in the existing passport no longer exists.

I hope you are able to get your passport corrected. If you aren't able to get anyone to help you, please let me know.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. friend1201

friend1201 Member

I just noticed that BLS added a notice on their site sometime over the last week about the non-machine readable passports. They have not included an explanation that a handwritten observation on your passport makes it non-machine readable. Several people at the consulate told me 2 weeks ago that they were making all corrections to passports with a handwritten observation.

www.blsindia-usa.com
    "Important Notice
    : Phasing out of all non-Machine Readable Passports from 24th November 2015.

As per the advisory, from 25th November 2015 onwards foreign Governments may deny Visa or entry to any person travelling on a non-Machine Readable Passport."