1. When we moved over to the new software, the passwords did not import properly. If you are unable to login and post messages, please send your username to inquiries@gotcherlaw.com and we will reset your password. We apologize for the inconvenience.

US Passport

Discussion in 'Retention of US residency' started by s.maduu, Oct 7, 2011.

1. s.maduu

s.maduu Junior Member

Hi there. My name is Ioana. I am 20 years old, will be 21 in December.
    My father is an US Citizen from July 2008.So I was still under 18 years old when he became a US citizen. I am living in the USA for 1 month now , I just got my green card for 10 years. We applied the n600 form, it has been approved..they say we are on the post decision activity part right now.
    So, I have 2 question for you:
    1. Am I already a US citizen? Or do I have to wait until my Certificate of Citizenship is issued?
    2.Can I get an US Passport at this moment?
    Thank you very much for your time
  2. MeirionGwril

MeirionGwril Senior Member

Re: US Passport

As has been posted here before, the N600 seems usually to be just another way of getting money out of people! If they have approved your N600 that means you are already a citizen. This can be proved by a passport (and/or by the N600). So, if you can have a passport issued that means you didn't actually need to get the N600 certificate.
    It also means that you should be able to get a passport issued now (unless there any complicating factors you've not mentioned). Your father's certificate of naturalization together with your birth certificate should be enough to show that you are eligible for a passport.
    However, as you've paid for the N600 it's probably easier to wait until it arrives then you don't have to send your father's certificate (unless the need for a passport is urgent).

I am not a lawyer.