1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgently need advice

Discussion in 'Retention of US residency' started by f1tocitizenship, Oct 3, 2012.

  1. f1tocitizenship

    f1tocitizenship Junior Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Dear Ron,

    If a woman with a GC stays in her home country for 7 months- to deliver baby there- what are the consequences she should be prepared for? Could she lose her GC? And/or be denied entry? Her husband will be working in the U.S., except for 2-3 trips to visit her, each for a week. I've heard many people say one must live in the U.S. for at least 6 months + 1 day to avoid any problems in retention of LPR. Will there be any documents she will have to carry out and bring in with her?

    Thank you for your time and appreciate your response so much.
  2. Ron Gotcher

    Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Re: Urgently need advice

    As long as a lawful permanent resident does not remain outside the U.S. for a year or more, they may return to the U.S. from any temporary trip abroad using only their passport and green card. If a woman has a child abroad, she need to bring the child back to the U.S. on her first trip back and within two years of the child's birth. If she does, the child get a green card automatically.

Share This Page