1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent: I94 Expired, Visa Valid

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Validity' started by bugsy4u, Oct 28, 2015.

1. bugsy4u

bugsy4u New Member

I am on H1-B visa which was set to expire 10/05/2015. After that my company filed the amendment because of company name change, and with it my new H1-B expiration became 04/2016.
    Now the twist in the story is I took a cruise trip to Mexico in 12/2014, and my amendment was prior to the trip. While coming back from Mexico, even though I had my new I797c with me new date of 04/2016, Visa officer didn't even ask for it, and didn't update my I94 expiration date of 10/05/2015. Now, I just realized as my company is filing an extension, that becomes my latest I94 with 10/05/2015 is making me out of status.
    This is a complete horror to me, as I have been very careful to maintaining my status and It seems short cruise trips never get to issue a new I94. (Why on earth then update my latest entry date???).
    what are my options here? I am thinking of starting with going to deferred inspection office to get it corrected. However, I read that the officer there could just deny updating it.
    Please help me out here.

2. sean231

sean231 Member

Go to a deferred inspection office, explain the situation and they should be able to update the system.

I did that a couple of years ago (passport expiry earlier than H1B expiration). No issues per se.

DonDraper likes this.
  3. bugsy4u

bugsy4u New Member

Mine is slightly different case, as I94 wasn't issued per say just my arrival record got updated.
    I went to deferred inspection office today after this post, and they said since it was not a meaningful trip, they are not supposed to update I94 nor put a stamp on the passport.

4. iDreamer

iDreamer Member

You might have to go outside US, get your passport/visa stamped and get a new I-94 with valid date ASAP.

5. ebgc2010

ebgc2010 New Member

i don't think you have a problem. Your new approval comes with a I94 which authorizes your continued stay in the us.