1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unauthorized Work Under F1

Discussion in 'College and University Faculty' started by F1-students, Dec 2, 2015.

1. F1-students

F1-students New Member

Hi Ron

If you continue working after your opt end ( after opt changed status to f1) and still working off campus over 180 days started this year. ( part time not everyday ). While I'm full time student as well as working on campus not through DSO

And right now considering two options
    1)To apply for economic hardship ,but I'm afraid since they asking for ssn and they will learn that I have 1099 from employee this year to file taxes
    Or
    2)Finished higher study and get another opt.
    Which is my better option if they learn about my unauthorized unemployment will I be deported?

I'm sorry for many questions and God bless you

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

First, understand that your unauthorized employment put you into unlawful status (NOT unlawful presence). Your best bet is to go abroad and re-enter as an F1. At that point, you can ask for work authorization.

3. F1-students

F1-students New Member

Thank you Ron

To go abroad is to leave as taking a vacation and inform international office and come back? Or I leave and reapply to new F 1 visa?
    Will new visa does that mean I for go my accumulative year in us? ( 1st year student 2nd year opt and this year student again, I plan to apply opt again in a year and try to do economic hardship.

Thank you and God bless

4. Ron Gotcher

If you have an unexpired visa, use that as your re-entry document. If not, get a new visa. You don't have to start over in your program, just go abroad to clean your record.

5. F1-students

F1-students New Member

And do I tell DSO about the unauthorized employment ?
    Sorry just wanna to make sure

6. F1-students

F1-students New Member

Additional question I'm so sorry . My visa is not expires yet so if I leave to go back to my home country and come back to the U.S. will there be a possibility of rejection at POE?
    Do they check my ssn?
    I'm filing tax this year and I will file tax next year . will they see all my 1099 record that my employers file for working this year?

2)In opt and economic hardship they ask for my ssn number as well. If I leave the country , once I come back will they find out that I am a tax payer? Should I omit my ssn during application ?

Thank you for your kindness God bless you

7. Ron Gotcher

Most likely they will not check your tax filings.

8. Madhumitha Sowndararajan

Madhumitha Sowndararajan New Member

Hi There,

I recently applied for CPT in my last semester since I received an offer from a startup to wrok part time. But, I have some questions about it since I understand that some details are not exactly straightforward. Some clarification on that front would really help.

I read of lots of queries where students had said that they ended up working without CPT without knowing about it. (Either school did not inform them or its their ignorance). Assuming its an honest mistake and that they quickly realized about it and if a student had had received a meagre amount as salary (say a total $1500 for a period of 3-4 months), would it be ok for the student to just return that money back to the employer and quit the job if they still do not have a valid CPT/OPT?