1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Limit For Applying I-140 After Perm Approval

Discussion in 'AC 21 I-140 Portability' started by eb33eb2waitforever, May 26, 2015.

1. eb33eb2waitforever

eb33eb2waitforever New Member

Hi Ron,

I have an approved I-140 from my current employer. I am in 9th year of my H1B and got couple of extensions already after completing 6 years on my H1b. But the category I am in right now is EB3. My priority date is Feb 2011.

I am actually working full time and happy with the job, just that it is hard to get EB2 porting done with the same employer. So I found another company which is ready to start my GC in EB2 (as a future employee). So my plan is to ask them to apply for PERM and I-140. Only when Eb2 moves to Feb 2011, I plan to join that company and apply for I-485.

Here is the question I have : is there a time limit for applying I-140 after PERM is approved? Or can we wait for applying I-140 after PERM approval (lets say couple of years)? I need to know this to decide when to start the processing.

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Yes there is a time limit. An I-140 must be filed within 180 days of the PERM approval date.

eb33eb2waitforever likes this.
  3. eb33eb2waitforever

eb33eb2waitforever New Member

Hey Ron,

Can I retain my priority date or port to my feb 2011 date (which I have from current EB3 approved I-140), if another company starts another green card process as future employee and I get Perm and I-140 approved?

Now that we are hearing that there are chances that uscis may not allow retaining priority date if old employer revokes i-140, I am thinking it is better to make sure that porting happens first before I move to the future green card sponsoring company.

Please let me know if this is okay.

Thanks.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If they change their policy, which I doubt, it won't matter. Even if you have already gotten a new I-140 approved, they will strip away the old PD.