1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Benefits Of Immigration

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by dkrank, Dec 22, 2016.

1. dkrank

dkrank New Member

People always discuss the downsides of immigration, but no one really talks about the benefits immigration brings. The economy only grows when the population grows. More people = more laborers and more consumers. I was just recently looking at an infographic on the benefits that immigration has brought Florida (http://pobjeckylaw.com/how-floridas-immigrants-contribute-to-the-state-infographic/). Immigrant business owners brought in $13.3 billion last year. Florida would suffer $43.9 billion in economic activity and $19.5 billion in gross state product if immigrants left the state.

I opened this thread up to hear others thoughts and maybe the benefits others have witnessed in other states.

2. JoeF

JoeF Senior Member

I guess you're preaching to the choir...
    Lots of companies, in particular in the IT industry, have been started by immigrants.
    Prominent examples out of the top of my head: Borland (Philippe Kahn), Google (Sergey Brin), eBay (Pierre Omidyar), Tesla, SpaceX (Elon Musk), Facebook (co-founder Eduardo Saverin), Yahoo (Jerry Yang).