1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch Job - Picked In H1b Cap Fy 16 - Regular Processing - Decision Pending

Discussion in 'AC 21 H-1B Issues' started by Kabirasha, May 12, 2015.

1. Kabirasha

Kabirasha New Member

I am on Stem OPT, I got picked in H1 lottery FY 2016, received receipt number but I am waiting on the decision. My application was filed under regular processing. Can I switch job or should I wait for H1 to get approved? I don't want to risk losing H1. Also can I upgrade to Premium processing now?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

You may upgrade to premium processing at any time. Personally, I'd wait until I got an approval before changing jobs.

3. Kabirasha

Kabirasha New Member

Once it gets approved and I get laid off. Does it get void ? Or can I get it transferred by new employer as I am still on OPT?

4. Ron Gotcher

If the employer revokes it before October 1st, you will be out of luck. You will still have OPT, however.

5. Kabirasha

Kabirasha New Member

What if New employer transfers it before they revoke? Thanks for taking time to respond.

6. Ron Gotcher

In that case, you are OK. The USCIS says that unless you make it to October 1st without a revocation, you lose your status and are subject to the cap again. If a new employer steps up and gets a superseding petition approval for you before the old employer revokes, it is cap exempt.