1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Company On Ead

Discussion in 'Special visas for entrepreneurs/inventors' started by ckilaru, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ckilaru

ckilaru New Member

Hi Ron,

I'm currently on my EAD (been on it since 2012 April) with priority date of Sep 16 2009.

If I get funding from an outside source in the next couple of months. Is it possible for me to start my own company and work for it full time?

Thx!

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

As long as you stay in the same or similar occupational classification, you may be self-employed. If you are going to stop doing whatever it was that you did for purposes of the PERM and start managing a company full time, however, that would likely be a problem.

3. ckilaru

ckilaru New Member

Thanks Ron. My PERM was for a marketing position and the company I'm planning on starting is in the marketing field. Specifically entertainment marketing. Initially for the first year or so, I don't foresee myself doing management full-time. I'll be doing social marketing for movies and such. Will that be a prob?

4. Ron Gotcher

Hard to say without knowing all of the facts, but it sounds like you are definitely in the ballpark.

5. avatar

Hi Ron - I want to start my own company as soon as I can get an EAD. I plan to bootstrap the company with savings and private investment from friends/family. I'm an technical engineering manager right now but when I start my own company I'll be doing lots of things (obviously) like writing my own marketing plan, building the product, managing finances etc. How can I show that the job is "similar" to the one I have now? Is there clear guidance on how to demonstrate this? I appreciate your input and help.

6. Ron Gotcher

You need to consult with an expert concerning your specific plans.