1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ron, Would You Please Help With This Complex Post Ac 21 Situation?

Discussion in 'Keeping your green card' started by wanderer, Jun 28, 2014.

1. wanderer

wanderer New Member

Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot for your very kind and generous help with setting up this forum and answering our questions. I'm very glad to find this forum and learned a lot from reading the posts.

Here is my question:

If a green card is granted based upon a future job offer under AC 21, but the green card holder could not actually work for the proposed employer, either because the employer rescinded the job offer or breached the contract (e.g. changed the term of the employment), will he lose his green card for not working for the AC 21 sponsor? If not, will this cause problem for his later citizenship application? By the way, after obtaining green card he continued to work for his initial I-140 sponsor for about 5-6 months, but this employer didn't provide the second EVL in response to the RFE because his position was no longer permanent then.

Looking forward to your reply, and best regards,

Wanderer

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Keep in mind that 180 days after the I-485 is filed, the employee becomes a free agent and may work for anyone. I don't see a problem here.

3. wanderer

wanderer New Member

Hi Ron,

It's so kind of you to help us during the weekend. May I ask even though the employee may work for anyone, must he work for the AC21 sponsor since his green card was granted because of this sponsor's future permanent job offer? What if this sponsor inform the USCIS that he didn't actually work for them as proposed?

Many thanks and have a great day!

Wanderer

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

It doesn't matter. Once you go beyond 180 days, you are a free agent. All you have to do is stay in the same or similar field.