1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Country Quota

Discussion in 'General discussion about executive action' started by s_gan, Aug 31, 2015.

1. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

At least 50% of the EB quota should not be subjected to per country cap.

bhuvr and DamperGreen like this.
  2. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

I think if the country cap on the EB GC quota is ever removed, it will be removed completely. Most of the bills already have that text. I do not think that they will do a 50% or some other percentage. Pretty soon there will be a backlog again and then we will all have to fight again to get a bigger percentage. The best is to do away with the country cap, once and for all.

3. ssm_nsk

ssm_nsk Guest

What is the logic behind 50%? I think when it comes to immigration or for that matter any sensitive issue – all or none is the best approach.

4. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

If there is no limit, the whole of India & China will be here in a decade.

5. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I just wanted to give some assurance to the guys who are pro per country cap.

6. Kamakazee

@DonDraper Indians consume a huge chunk of the H1B every year. Unless that's changing, they are moving here anyway. And unless you are in IT, you hardly feel the difference.

7. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

And that's the exact reason why a per country limit was introduced.

8. intstu

intstu Junior Member

I do understad your point, But I think...

1. In a decade you will have 65000*10=650,000 here(If only india/chine uses all), that's not whole india china(India+china population:
    2,600,000,000).

2. Also as per country limit: a country like vatican city(Population=500) and India (Population=1.25 Billion) get the same number of EB visas, which is some what off.

Sorry. don't lose focus of this thred.

9. alpha0

alpha0 Guru

Why dont you ask 389 house representatives who voted to remove country cap in Nov 2011?

10. SushilS

SushilS Guru

Guys don't introduce another topics here lets stick to the point otherwise we will loss very soon. Let keep status update where we are how many stories we got, Lets keep it clean and to the point.

11. Legal Immigrant

Legal Immigrant Banned

The question is why not for H1 then?

12. DamperGreen

DamperGreen Junior Member

Indians also do a huge chunk of work in the IT industry. Merits of outsourcing aside (because that's where most H1B visas go) - those visas are not being granted as charity.

13. DamperGreen

DamperGreen Junior Member

I agree we shouldn't deviate from the topic at hand. But it's important to elaborate on why per country limit for EB queue makes no sense. It's not just a case of - because it helps me - it really makes no sense. Skilled based queues should only look at skills, not country of origin.

14. Legal Immigrant

Legal Immigrant Banned

Where is the Garbage Collector to remove all the irrelevant posts?

15. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

'country cap was created to promote diversity

16. SushilS

SushilS Guru

This is the logical question to USCIS, In the name of diversity they are abusing the system.
    First why Indians should be allowed H1B in the first place from one single country, we mis-balance diversity right there. Same goes to universities they should restrict diversity. This is not done right in the first place the effect of this Universities are inviting people from India/China then they make them to wait for H1B and after H1b then for priority dates this is humiliation and abusing the talent, if there is diversity it should be from right from the start that way system will work FIFO.

17. Kamakazee

The reason is because H1Bs and F1s are temporary visas. That being said, laws and policies should be changed to reflect changing times to extract the best use of them. The point is - US immigration laws are antiquated and they do not work. The system is broken. The problem is everyone knows it but the issue is too political to be fixed.

DamperGreen likes this.
  18. ssm_nsk

ssm_nsk Guest

only argument we can make here
    1. Diversity visa is already in place to preserve diversity of nation
    2. EB visa is skillset based visa - in order to fulfill skillset shortage and progress of country EB visa should only be granted based on skillsets

DamperGreen and SushilS like this.
  19. SushilS

SushilS Guru

If there is no political fix then it's humiliation we are modern slaves.

20. cuckoo

cuckoo Super Moderator

The Universities are making tons of money by enrolling Indian and Chinese students. I know that since the recession law schools have faced dwindling applicant now that more of the local would be applicants know how dismal the legal job market is. However, now they have a growing pool of indian and n chinese students getting suckered into taking huge loans to fund these shops. They will all go into opt and then realize how difficult the job market, especially for those who need work visa and green card sponsorship.