1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reg: Getting Court Order For Name Change For Indian Born Minor

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by ksrinivasan7021, Jun 17, 2015.

1. ksrinivasan7021

ksrinivasan7021 Junior Member

Hello Ron / Fellow forum members,

any information on this would be appreciated. Recently indian consulate added rule as court order required for on Name change in Passport for Indian Born citizens. but they are not clarifying whether that should be from India or USA courts.

My question is , i need to shorten my son name (who lives in H4 Visa) because his name ends with shit" and that will give more problem for him while growing up ..

1. should i need to get court order from VA (where we live currently)? is that possible for indian citizen to apply in USA court for name change?
    2. should i need to get this from India ( very complicated process)
    3. is change in passport would be the first right step to change his name in all over other USCIS and school records?

Please help if you have any information. i did called several time consulate they are giving mixed answer every time.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If the Indian government will recognize a U.S. court order changing a name, then there is no problem. You need to check with the legal affairs officer at the Indian Embassy in Washington.

ksrinivasan7021 likes this.
  3. ksrinivasan7021

ksrinivasan7021 Junior Member

Thank you so much Ron.

4. vbodanapu

vbodanapu New Member

Hi Srinivasan,

I am on the same boat. I would like to change my son's name. Hope you might have done by now. Could you please share me more details.

Regards,
    -Vijay

5. manuj09

manuj09 New Member

Hey Srinivasan,

I am sure you were able to change your child's name by now. I am also planning for the same. Can you please share more info with me please?

- Manuj