1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reducing Green Card Backlogs

Discussion in 'Visa Modernization' started by divinewind, Nov 21, 2014.

1. divinewind

divinewind New Member

Ron,

Do you plan to submit a new newsletter after the Presidential memo's today ? Also, any idea about the Presidential Memorandum for Visa Modernization ?

Thank you.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

There's nothing new to warrant another newsletter. Hopefully, we will get some documents later today from the press briefing. If so, I'll publish those.

3. nohohon

nohohon Junior Member

Sorry to write about this topic here, but I didn't see a thread for the H4 EAD rule. DHS just published the final rule effective 12/2014.

4. divinewind

divinewind New Member

Here is the new Presidential Memo:

Section 1. Recommendations to Improve the Immigration System. (a) Within 120 days of the date of this memorandum, the Secretaries of State and Homeland Security (Secretaries), in consultation with the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the Director of the National Economic Council, the Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, the Director of the Domestic Policy Council, the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, the Attorney General, and the Secretaries of Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, and Education, shall develop:

(i) in consultation with private and nonfederal public actors, including business people, labor leaders, universities, and other stakeholders, recommendations to streamline and improve the legal immigration system -- including immigrant and non-immigrant visa processing -- with a focus on reforms that reduce Government costs, improve services for applicants, reduce burdens on employers, and combat waste, fraud, and abuse in the system;

(ii) in consultation with stakeholders with relevant expertise in immigration law, recommendations to ensure that administrative policies, practices, and systems use all of the immigrant visa numbers that the Congress provides for and intends to be issued, consistent with demand; and

(iii) in consultation with technology experts inside and outside the Government, recommendations for modernizing the information technology infrastructure underlying the visa processing system, with a goal of reducing redundant systems, improving the experience of applicants, and enabling better public and congressional oversight of the system.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...ernizing-and-streamlining-us-immigrant-visa-s

yamanoor likes this.
  5. divinewind

divinewind New Member

6. Kris143

Kris143 Junior Member

Hey Ron,

Do you still believe , Visa Recapture or Not counting of dependents in the quote are on the table , what is you insight ?

Thanks

7. Ron Gotcher

I do believe that it is in the cards. I think that the 120 day referral of this and other issues is a process designed to show a court later that the changes were the product of a highly deliberative process.

8. Kris143

Kris143 Junior Member

Hey Ron, What do you think other extra things that can be added to Visa Bulletin to make it more smarter ?

9. Ron Gotcher

I don't quite get that. I suppose, if the USCIS ever decided to give up their backlog information, the Visa Bulletin could include that data. Right now, the government holds that information in greater secrecy than nuclear launch codes.

10. Kris143

Kris143 Junior Member

Hey Ron, I was mentioning to the point

" Work with the Department of State to modify the Visa Bulletin system to more simply and reliably make determinations of visa availability "

posted on USCIS Website http://www.uscis.gov/immigrationaction

What more information can be added ?

11. Chet

Chet New Member

Bummer ! So no movement in dates in visa bulletin for back logged EB categories for at least 120 days??

12. Aakit2010

Aakit2010 New Member

From summaries put up elsewhere it looks like only H4 will get EADs. EADs for others may go through the rule making process so it will take time and luck.

13. Ron Gotcher

That's what I was talking about. They can add more accurate information. For example, if we knew for certain that there were 110,212 principals and dependents in the Worldwide EB3 queue, you could get a pretty good idea as to how long you would have to wait if you filed now. Better, if they broke it down by year, then those already in line could make accurate estimates.

Right now, we don't have anything close to accurate numbers, and neither does the State Department. The USCIS flatly refuses to release this information.

14. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Can these morons who published these guidelines tell me how I can estimate my wait time given the fact that my wait is a function of number of EB2 ROW applicants, EB4-EB5 usage and EB3-EB2 porting. just did not not have the heart to help out legals.

This is nothing but discrimination based on social standing.

bhuvr likes this.
  15. Ron Gotcher

Right now, even the State Department can't make an accurate estimate. Unless and until the USCIS gives up their data, no one has a clue.

16. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

There is no deadline for Orders on Visa modernization. it will die a natural death. It took 2 years to come up with H4 EAD guidelines.

Earlier they did not want to help legals without helping lillegal aliens, now they don't want to help legal aliens at all.

The GOP will come up with a bill to play politics by removing DV visa which will fail in the Senate.

bhuvr likes this.
  17. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

All I am saying is that even if DOS had the data they cannot predict EBI wait times. They want to pretend as if they are taking all steps but in reality they don't want to.

If Recapturing Visas and Counting out dependents are not possible why ask the agencies to look into it ? If it is possible why not do it. This is why I said there is no heart to help legals.

bhuvr and lozvop like this.
  18. adiboss007

adiboss007 Junior Member

It's quite simple really:

1. Legals don't have the same numbers (= potential votes) as non-legals.
    2. Issues faced by non-legals (e.g. living in shadows, fear, exploitation, families being torn apart) are easier to create sympathy for and sell to the American people then issues faced by Legals (e.g. backlogs).

In the end, it's politics as usual at Washington, be it Obama or Boehner.

-A

19. cuckoo

cuckoo Super Moderator

Guess what, the dems still need bargaining chips to make their ultimate goal happen- citizenship for undocumented + even this deferred action covers only 5 million of the 11-12 million. If the backlogs fof legal immigrants are eliminated, what would remain to bargain for -H1 quota increases only. Hence, the differential treatment. How come action for deferred deportation for millions of undocumented can be precisely articulated with set timelines without need to be careful and deliberately vague? Yes, I am being cynical but we have to pause and see the totality of information made available so far. Left to its own devices, USCIS can easily ignore or slow walk to death whatever little has been proposed for backlogged legal immigrants. I hate to inject negativity here but we need to keep doing some reality checks...

20. deve

deve New Member

I posted in IV facebook page asking what are the real benefits for legal immigrants other than asking DHS to look into few things and EAD's? Why are they advertising as Big win and Big success ? They promptly removed my post and blocked me.

gten20 and lozvop like this.