1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-entry After 485 Approval, With Ap; But Not Stamped

Discussion in 'Keeping your green card' started by wdcrg, Jan 5, 2016.

1. wdcrg

wdcrg New Member

I am not sure if this is the correct section of the forum for posting; if not, my apologies.

I recently re-entered the U.S. along with my wife after vacation in Canada. Both of us had valid AP cards, and I was on H1B and she was on TN. However, our 485s were approved 2 days before we left the U.S. , and we got to know when we received our approval notice a few days later (while in Canada).

When we re-entered, I informed the CBP office that we have AP and that we had approved 485s, and showed copy of 485 approval. She congratulated us, and sent us through without secondary inspection or stamping our passports. She did scan our passports on her system, but that's about it.

Later I checked the CPB I-94 site, and it shows my wife as re-entered in TN , and my expired I-94 (before my H1B was extended by USCIS) still showing up the same without an updated re-entry. My travel history in the system doesn't show I have re-entered, and my wife's shows she re-entered but with TN status.

I called the local CBP differed inspection office and explained, asking if I need to come in for differed inspection to correct anything. I was told no need, it's fine as long as we both have physical green cards with us and valid passports.

I am just curious to know if this situation causes any concerns for extended leave from the US. as the system doesn't show I have returned? or is the CPB I-94 site not a good indicator of travel history for LPRs because LPRs don't have I-94s? Also, if we were admitted in non-immigrant status, would that impact the LPR?

It seems like a unique situation, but I wanted to post incase someone else has encountered a similar situation or if it helps someone else in similar situation.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Don't worry about it. You presented yourselves for inspection and were admitted. That's all that matters. Congratulations.

3. wdcrg

wdcrg New Member

Thanks for the reply Ron. I was hoping that was the case. I wasn't sure if by mistake us being admitted in non-immigrant (especailly in TN status for my wife) caused a wrong intent to entry, therefore caused an impact to LPR. I agree that probably isn't the case. Sometimes it takes a while to sink in when LPR is approved, and to stop thinking like a non-immigrant :)