1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quit Job While On H1b, B2 Status Pending, Help!

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Validity' started by NYCGirl, Oct 21, 2015.

1. NYCGirl

NYCGirl Junior Member

Hi,

I quit my job while in H1b status. Due to some family issues I just had to quit.
    My last day was June 19th.

On June 17th I submitted a change of status application to change to B2 status (form I-539). Received a Receipt notice on June 19th.

In the I-539 form I asked my B2 status to start on June 19th and end on November 20th (i.e. 5 months). It has been 4 months since I submitted the my for I-539 form but it is still pending.

I was trying to find a new job over the last several months and I am in the final stage of the interview process with a couple of companies. However, I don't think I will be able to get new H1b paperwork submitted before November 20th (the last day of my requested B2 status).

So, my question is:
    - Can I modify my pending I-539 form to extend my requested B2 status through December 20th (i.e. 6 months) instead of November 20th?
    - If my I-539 remains in pending status on November 20th (i.e. the last day of my requested B2 status) will the fact that I have a pending petition allow me to stay in the country beyond Nov 20th?
    - Is there anything I can do to get a decision on my I-539 asap?
    - Do most I-539 forms get approved or not? What are the chances that my change of status will be denied?

Thank you!

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

They won't let you amend a pending matter. If you get a new job offer, your employer can file a new H petition on your behalf. As for the outcome of your I-539, it really depends on which adjudicator you get and how he/she feels that day.

3. NYCGirl

NYCGirl Junior Member

Thanks Ron! When the change of status from H1b to B2 gets approve, will I get B2 status for 6 months of just for the duration that I applied for in the I-539 form? I applied for 5 months of B2 status but I am hoping I will get 6 months approved. Please let me know if you have an answer for this question.

4. iDreamer

iDreamer Member

I believe you will get approved only for the time that you applied.