1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions Regarding J1-visa Waiver Now On H1b Getting Married To A Us Citizen

Discussion in 'AC 21 H-1B Issues' started by Pej, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Pej

Pej New Member

Hello All,

I am wondering what the process is for me. I was previously on a J1-visa with the 2 year home country requirement that got waived and converted to a H1B.

My question is, what happens after I marry my fiance who is an US citizen. Am I to still stay on the H1B for the next 3 years then apply for a green card, or can I start the process earlier?

Thank you for your help.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

You don't have to stay on the H1B, but you do have to serve out the full three years.

3. Pej

Pej New Member

Hi Ron, Thank you for your reply.

What will be my status be if I decide to change it ? Greencard holder ? and is there anyway to petition to not have to do the three years ? thanks

4. Ron Gotcher

Your best bet is to stay on the H1 until you complete three years. About four months before you reach the three year mark, file your I-130/I-485 package so that by the time you are interviewed, you will be free of the 2 year HRR.

5. Pej

Pej New Member

Thank you Again Ron,

Is there any way that my then wife can petition so that I can have my 3 year requirement removed?

6. Ron Gotcher

Not really. If it's any comfort to you, 45 years ago my wife was a J1 university professor and we were not able to get any kind of waiver. At least you have an option.

7. Pej

Pej New Member

Oh wow, well its not very comforting to me lol, (must have been difficult for you guys, I'm Sorry). So if I am understanding this correctly, I will continue this H1B, until ~ 4 months it runs out and apply for a greencard then? Is this process relatively easy? and Will i have any work restrictions then (like I do now?) Thank you for your help by the way. Your expertise in this field is very nice to have.

8. Ron Gotcher

It was difficult, but we got through it. Now, 45 years later we laugh about it.

Stay on the H1B until you are a few months away from the three year mark. File your combined package then. You will get an EAD/AP combo card that will give you unrestricted work authorization as soon as you complete three years.