1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about unique factual situations

Discussion in 'Notices - please read' started by Ron Gotcher, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

The purpose of this forum is to educate people about U.S. immigration law, policy, and procedure. We are happy to answer questions on any immigration subject. We cannot, and do not, however offer legal advice in this forum or attempt to answer questions relating to unique factual situations. There are prudent reasons for this policy.

Unless we know all of the unique facts of a case, it is impossible to offer accurate and meaningful advice. Without full knowledge of the facts, it is very easy to overlook something important and suggest a course of action that is harmful. Many people post here, thinking that they have recited all of the relevant facts. As a practical matter, if someone knows which facts are relevant, they likely know the answer to the question.

If you want to ask a general question, such as “what are the rules for I-140 portability” we are happy to answer. But if you cite a string of unique facts and ask “in my case, what do I need to do” we simply can’t and won’t answer that question.

The Internet is a great place to gather information and educate yourself. It also contains a lot of misleading and outright wrong information. Trying to diagnose your legal situation by reading Internet postings is little different than trying to diagnose your medical condition by doing the same thing. You can learn the questions that you need to ask and identify some of the issues, but the specific answer is rarely available.

Use this forum to ask questions about issues. If you read something on the Internet that concerns you, ask about it. There are a lot of myths out there that need debunking. Try to concentrate on the bigger picture, not specific facts.

We will work with you to give you as much information as possible, but please don’t ask us to diagnose your unique situation. We simply can’t do that responsibly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.