1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prevailing wage determination

Discussion in 'College and University Staff' started by arewethereyet, Nov 28, 2013.

1. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Junior Member

The university I work for is a "safe harbor" institution They tell me this means they have to get a prevailing wage determination from the DOL every time they file an H1 petition. I have recently been promoted to an executive level role. The prevailing wage determination from the DOL is pretty high and my supervisor does not want to pay that high a salary. They are now working to trim down the job description and/or change the title and resubmit to DOL with a different subject code in the hopes of getting a lower prevailing wage determination. This happens very often at my institution and has happened to me a few times in the last few years. Isn't this illegal? If the actual job I will be doing is the same as what was offered to me before the prevailing wage determination was submitted, changing the description to get a lower wage determination sounds unethical. HR is advising my supervisor to change the number of years required as well. They will keep doing this until the prevailing wage determination is to their liking. Is this OK for them to do? Thanks...