1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potentially Discriminatory Policy?

Discussion in 'College and University Faculty' started by prof1, Apr 1, 2015.

1. prof1

prof1 New Member

Hello Ron,

I was recently awarded tenure at a University and was asked to sign a letter that basically stated that in the event my eligibility to work in the US (permanently or temporarily) expires, I will have considered to have resigned my tenured position. Additionally, it requires me to waive all rights to appeal and due process. Can a University require me to sign such a letter? My understanding is that tenure is a hiring decision and any discrimination based on immigration status is against federal laws. Is that correct?

Thanks

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Talk to an employment lawyer about it, but I suspect it is legal. The university is saying that if you lose your work authorization, that will constitute a resignation. As a practical matter, how would you propose to work if you lost employment authorization?

3. prof1

prof1 New Member

That is true. However, I think the issue is with the language - for example, the letter says that ineligibility to work (even temporarily) will result in an automatic resignation with no appeals process. So, for example, assuming I am using my EAD, if my pending application for 485 is denied due to an error on USCIS's part (which can potentially be rectified), do I automatically lose my tenured position without any appeals process? Anyway, I wanted to get some initial feedback from this forum and your thoughts on this. I wasn't sure if you had seen something like this before.

Thank you again for this valuable service to the immigration community.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Talk to an employment lawyer and don't be afraid to negotiate with them.