1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please do not hijack threads

Discussion in 'Notices - please read' started by Ron Gotcher, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Increasingly, people are hijacking existing threads. That is, new posters are going into existing threads and posting new questions that are often wholly irrelevant to the question under discussion. This is a problem.

It is a problem because this kind of thing can confuse people who are reading a thread. They might believe that a response to one question actually relates to another question. Also, it makes it very hard for people who are trying to get answers to find what they are looking for.

Right now, I am simply asking people to start a new thread, ignoring the new question, and closing the thread so no new postings may be made. I am going to start deleting the new questions without comment.

When I ask people to start new threads, the most common excuse for not doing so is "the forum won't let me start a new thread." I don't understand this. 99% of the people who visit are able to start new threads. If you can't, then you either don't have cookies enabled or you aren't following the established procedures for starting a new vBulletin thread.

We use cookies only for keeping you logged in and no other purpose. We do not track you or otherwise retrieve information about you. If you don't want to enable cookies, no problem. Just understand that you can't post.

As for the correct procedures for posting, please read the FAQs found at Immigration Information Discussion Forum FAQ. These procedures are common to all vBulletin based forums. vBulletin is the most popular discussion forum software in the world. If you can't post here, you can't post on any other discussion forum. We do not impose any special rules that aren't also used for the Immigration Voice and Trackitt forums. If you can post there, you can post here. Take some time and read the FAQs.

I don't what to be harsh about this, but I know of several specific cases where people have written to me, desperate with worry because they confused my responses to two different questions in the same thread. It is an easy thing to do and the only way to prevent it is to start deleting questions involving different facts or legal issues.