1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please do not ask fact specific questions

Discussion in 'Notices - please read' started by Ron Gotcher, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Many people post questions that are based on the unique facts of their cases. I do not answer these types of questions for a number of practical and ethical reasons.

Unless I am able to undertake an extensive review of the facts of a specific case, I cannot possibly know all of the unique issues involved. Many people believe, quite sincerely, that they have listed all of the relevant facts in their questions. If they knew enough to know which facts were relevant, they wouldn’t have to ask the question. Sometimes, the most innocuous fact can determine the outcome of a case.

For me to attempt to advise someone on the basis of anything less than a complete understanding of the facts and circumstances of their case is irresponsible and dangerous. To gain a complete understanding of the facts, sufficient to render advice, requires that I spend a considerable amount of time not only listening to what the person has to say, but also asking questions and following up on those questions with more questions.

The same is true of “how do I answer question X on form Y” questions. Unless I know all of the facts and circumstances, I can’t responsibly answer these types of questions.
    I am happy to answer general questions that do not relate to unique factual situations, but please don’t ask me to opine as to specific factual situations.

2. Escu

Escu Junior Member

Re: Please do not ask fact specific questions

I completely agree with your stance, Ron. If people need specific help, they should hire counsel. BTW, this post is a duplicate of this sticky one in the same category.

3. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Please do not ask fact specific questions

I am aware that it is a duplicate. It seems that no matter how many times I post this, or variations of it, people either don't read it or simply ignore it.