1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning to get Expired H1B Re-Stamped at Vancouver Embassy.

Discussion in 'TCN NIV applications in Canada' started by DamperGreen, Sep 27, 2012.

1. DamperGreen

DamperGreen Junior Member

Hello. Here are my case details:

1. I work as a Full Time employee (engineer) at a tech company. No client/consultant relationship.
    2. Work site has been the same for last 5 years.
    3. First few months at the company were as an OPT (after graduating from a University in the US).
    4. My First H1B was stamped in the Mumbai consulate. [I am an Indian national]
    5. My employer filed "PERM" on my behalf which was approved and I have a priority date.
    6. My H1B extension was approved (last year) - however, the Visa stamped earlier from Mumbai consulate is now expired and I haven't been back yet to get it re-stamped.

This time, I am planning to get it stamped in Canada (Vancouver, to be specific). However - I have been told by a couple of sources that they cannot take an appointment if the H1-B on passport is expired. Do you know this to be true, because I am almost sure I have heard of folks who went to Canada to get their H1-B re-stamped after it was extended but their first H1-B Visa on the passport was past the expiration date.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: Planning to get Expired H1B Re-Stamped at Vancouver Embassy.

What you have been told is nonsense. Bring the old passport with you, though it may not be necessary. You have an excellent case and shouldn't have any difficulties.

3. DamperGreen

Thanks for the prompt response, Ron. But perhaps you misread. My last H1B stamp from Mumbai Embassy is past the expiration date, not the passport. The passport is still valid.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If the visa hadn't expired, you wouldn't be there applying for a new one. Posts in both Canada and Mexico will accept H1B visa applications from people who have been issued H1B visas previously, even if the visa has since expired.

5. DamperGreen

Got it ! Thank you, Ron.