1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal experiences

Discussion in 'Naturalization to become a US citizen' started by Ron Gotcher, Feb 15, 2006.

1. sarmhurts

sarmhurts Junior Member

Re: Personal experiences

My wife, applying based on her marriage to me, had a difficult interview. The officer spoke in a mumble, made worse by his thick Vietnamese accent. My wife had to ask him to repeat virtually everything he asked and even then was unsure exactly what he was saying half the time. (She's British, by the way, and he complimented her on her excellent English!) She passed the tests no problem. He saw that she had kept her maiden name and quizzed her on that. Then he began to quiz her on how many times she had left the US since arriving four years ago. She gave him a general overview (it was all on the N-400, obviously), but she forgot one big one: in 2006 she spent 89 days in Australia finishing a Master's degree. He may have asked her about it (he apparently said "mumble mumble mumble 89 days mumble mumble") but she's not certain.

Anyway, something raised a red flag, and he told her to come back in a month with more documents supporting the veracity of our marriage (joint bank statements, credit card bills, etc.) We've been together 12 years, 6 of them married (two long-distance). And since our marriage is legit, we haven't given any thought to creating a paper trail proving it. We're pretty scared that we won't have enough documentation to convince the guy. Fingers crossed...

2. vgb

vgb Junior Member

Hi,
    I and my husband applied for us citizenship in februvary 2008 and we had our interview on 12th june.Now waiting for oath date.we want to know the time it takes in saint paul

3. jwkee

jwkee Junior Member

My wife had her interview on July 8th 2008 and was "recommended for approval". We are currently waiting for the oath ceremony date in San Diego, CA. Today is 2 weeks and 1 day later and every day I rush to the mailbox in anticipation of the letter indiciating the oath ceremony date.

Honestly, the whole process has been easy and on time. The last few days, however, have produced an exruciating wait.

4. ins_info

ins_info Junior Member

Both my wife & I applied and were approved recently.

Details:

NSC
    Green Card since 2002
    N400 application: July 25, 2007
    Finger Prints: Sept. 13, 2007
    Interview: May 20, 2008
    Oath: July 4, 2008

Local office: Seattle, WA

I have been using this forum for about 8 years now. Thank you to everyone and especially Ron and his team for all their support and for providing a much needed resource/service.

Good luck everyone.

5. ALICIA21

ALICIA21 Junior Member

Re: Interview Experience at Hartford

great article. I will bookmark this

6. Dannyfromny

Dannyfromny Junior Member

Pompano Beach, FL

Hi Ron thanks for your help along the way!
    These are my dates:
    Application (N400) sent on 07/24/08 to the Texas service center.
    Finger printed on 08/27/08 in Davie FL.
    Initial Interview on 01/27/09 Oakland Park, FL.
    I passed the test now I'm just waiting for the ceremony invitation letter :D

The questions asked were:
    In the middle of the interview he asked Who is the governor of FL?
    2) What are the colors of the flag?
    3) What color are the stars on the flag?
    4) What are the 3 branches of our government?
    5) Who is the actual president?
    6) How many senators are there in the senate?
    7) For how long do we elect each member of the house?
    Later he made me write. I came to Oakland Park for my interview.
    And made me read: I bought a house in Florida.
    I really hope this will help someone :)
    Danny

7. Dannyfromny

Re: Pompano Beach, FL

I received the invitation letter on 02/06/09 and had the ceremony on 02/11/09 Very pleasant experience, and I finally became citizen.
    Thanks Ron for your help and advices along the way!;)

8. redroses

redroses Junior Member

Here is my personal experience at the Texas Service Center :

PR since April 1989
    Filed my N400 on April 17 , 2008
    CIS received my application on April 22 , 2008
    Finger printed on May 13 , 2008
    Interviewed on Nov. 4 , 2008
    Received Oath Ceremony Letter on Feb 12 , 2009
    Oath Ceremony Feb 20 , 2009

I am a US Citizen !!!!

I have been using this site for over a year and I am so greatful for this site , I don't know what I would of done without all the help .

SPECIAL THANKS TO RON FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE !!!!!!!!!

9. rmganguly

rmganguly Junior Member

Hellow,
    I am a green card holder since 2001. I took three re-entry permits. But I came back before the RE-ENTRY PERMITS EXPIRED .I was allowed to come in USA without any question. But if I count my deperture from USA and return by Re-entry, it is more than two years, beacuse re-entry time counting starts from the date it is approved to further 2 years. Will it affects the citizenship procedure.
    Thanks.
    rmganguly

10. MeirionGwril

MeirionGwril Senior Member

My experience:
    Submitted N400: 29 August 2009,
    fingerprints 12 September,
    Interview 5 November (amusing date to choose for a British applicant!)
    Passed interview and given Oath date there and then: November 19.
    Ceremony attended, and citizenship granted. 28 countries represented by 61 people.

Very quick, especially as the New Orleans office had had a reputation of taking quite some time. Maybe they fast tracked me, as a native English speaking academic?

Good luck everyone

11. veronica860

veronica860 Junior Member

applied at the end of 8/2009
    fingerprints in 9/2009
    interview on 12/14/2009;biggrin;
    oath taken 12/17/2009 ;laugh;

All done here very quickly in CT.

Next month I'll apply for my passport. Best of luck to everyone else still in the process ;wink;

Veronica

12. Drarnon

Drarnon Member

Re: Interview Experience at Hartford

In the application instructions they didn't mention that I had to bring a translated copy of my birth certificate. Why did you have to?

13. kotkoda

kotkoda Junior Member

N-400 experience. Bloomington, MN. I rather not state a lot of details as my case is still pending but ..
    I had to wait 1/2 hr.
    Officer went through everything. Particularly asked many questions about my marriage, my husband, how we met, how many siblings he has and a lot of other things. I still don't know the reason for these many questions. He checked my answers with previously admitted material in my file. Although, I did check the box that my application for naturalization is on the bases of marriage, I have been a LPR more than 5 years.
    The officer was someone with a VERY thick accent.

14. Drarnon

Drarnon Member

My personal experience...hope helps someone

Dec 29, 2010 Send Application
    Jan 3, 2011 Application Received
    (CIS Dallas)
    Jan 10, 2011 I-797 Notice of Action Received
    Jan 24, 2011 Fingerprint Letter Received
    Feb 2, 2011 Fingerprint Appointment
    Feb 22, 2011 Interview Letter Received
    April 5, 2011 Interview Appointment PASSED

Still waiting for oath letter....;mad;

15. Drarnon

Drarnon Member

Oath Ceremony on May 18th!!!
    Finally!

16. Dannyfromny

Awesome!!!!!
    Enjoy it to the fullest !!

17. almostacitizen

almostacitizen Junior Member

Re: Experience in Omaha

Experience in San Diego, CA

The officer was very nice, courteous, friendly and funny. My interview took 10 minutes. He asked me to read "who can vote" and I was told to write the answer "Citizen can vote". After that, he reminded me of the upcoming election in November and told me "don't forget to vote." lol
    He proceeded by asking six questions for the U.S. history test. I was nervous but he put me at ease. He said he can usually tell who will pass and who won't.
    I told him I was nervous because I want to get a perfect score! hahah
    On my test result paper, he put a smiley face, a "100%" score and A+. He had a great sense of humor and he was efficient with his work.
    I lost a couple of nights sleep for nothing!
    Regarding my traffic citation, he said I didn't have to bring any evidence since they're more concerned about criminal history.
    He stamped my paperwork approved and I received my oath ceremony letter 15 minutes later and scheduled for oath taking in six days.
    Overall, it was a great experience.

18. AlmostThereBaby

AlmostThereBaby Junior Member

Hello,

My personal experience has been this. I came in on a tourist visa and then was proposed to and got married to my fiance before my visa waiver was about to expire, we no longer wanted or could be apart because he is my stars and moon, and my soul mate. I panicked and thought they wouldn't approve my change of status. When the interview finally came, I was exceptionally nervous as it could of been considered that I came in with the intent on marrying my hubby. My husband is ex-military came in with me to the interview in his uniform. Everything went super smoothly, no doubts from the I.O, she was very friendly. Now four years later I applied for my citizenship. During fall quarter and during my finals I had the USCIS naturalization interview. I went there totally prepared, and I knew all the answers to the test, and I can speak english because I come from an english speaking country, no problem right? Well wrong! This is where the problems began. They told me at the interview that I was ineligible to become naturalized because it was too early. I looked at my green card and the date that was printed on that card was four days after our wedding day. The I.O called his manager because as you know I.O's cannot think for themselves. What had occurred is this: USCIS had printed the incorrect date on my card, and as a result my husband and I thought that the date your permanent residency begins must be the day that USCIS receives your initial adjustment of status packet. Not our fault clearly. Nevertheless, the manager comes in and speaks to me like I am a complete and utter moron, he barely speaks english and I end up having a huge argument with the manager of the department over something that wasn't my fault. So I say to him eventually, and as calmly as possible, "Well what is the point of doing the interview if you are going to deny me? I want my money back. will I get my money back. Who do I speak with to get my money back for something that wasn't my fault?" The manager then says to me, "You won't get your money back" I said, "well what is the point of doing the interview then?" Then the manager says angrily to the I.O, "WELL WRITE IN HER FILE THAT SHE REFUSSSEEEEDDDD TO DO THE INTERVIEW". I said, "hold on don't do that, what will that do? Will this impede the process? It's not my fault. My husband and I aren't rich and can't continue paying for all of these fees." Eventually the manager calmed down and said to me "Look, do the interview, we will deny you and then you can appeal the decision". I said "fine". So I proceeded to complete the interview, which is really just a formality. In all honesty even if you were a convicted criminal they would never figure it out, the interview is just a money making scam.

Eventually I got my denial in the mail. This is when I became very frustrated and angry at the system. There seems to be a large disconnect, huge bureaucracy, piles and piles of files, and on top of that huge pile of crap most I.O's have been through a similar process of being naturalized because I have only ever met (during this extended long four year process) one American I.O. I then contacted Barbara Boxer, and Senator Feinstein. Barbara Boxer didn't ever reply to us. Meanwhile, Feinstein told me to seek help elsewhere. I then did my research and I found the USCIS ombudsman that handles disputes with USCIS and clients. I filled out this form from this website:

http://www.dhs.gov/xabout/structure/cisomb.shtm

This is the form:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_dhsform7001.pdf

I explained the whole situation in a type of manifesto. Three months later I receive a phone call from the Washington office USCIS and the kind lady says to me, "I wanted to inform you that you will be receiving a check in the mail for your original naturalization application because it was our fault and our mistake that we printed the wrong date on your card". I was absolutely astounded, flabbergasted, and ecstatic. I WON!!!

Moral of the story, no one knows anything at USCIS. If you feel that your dispute is worthy of attention contact the ombudsman immediately as they will consider your case.

Now my oath ceremony is within a week and hopefully all goes well, and I don't have to deal with any more stupid issues as I am a moral, kind, 3.78 GPA student who deserve's her citizenship to America because I have always abided by the law and I love this country.
    :)

19. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Good for you.

20. Dannyfromny

Welcome to America lol
    Congratulations