1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perm A Number Priority Date And Dol Processing Schedule

Discussion in 'PERM modernization' started by Arnab, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Hi Ron ,

I know this has been asked a million times.But I was not convinced by any of the answers submitted so let me ask the expert now.

1. When case is drafted it has a T number ( T-XXX-XXXXX) and when submitted to DOL in the system it gets changed with an A number (A-XXX-XXXX). So when the A number is generated the case is in the DOL's system.

2. Sometime later DOL sends e-mail to the e-mail id mentioned , employer responds and case is "accepted for processing". This is the actual PD. In all cases the PD lags the A number by a few weeks.

Question is how does the DOL pick cases for processing ?

We see discussions and assumptions here based on DOL moving more or less in a linear fashion based on the A# . Like after September end (A-14273-XXXX) they picked October( A-14274-XXXX) and so on. If DOL would have indeed certified cases based on PD and not A# how does the theory of linear 5 months approval work? Then it should have been 5 months wait time + 3 weeks or 2 weeks or 1 week based on when the employer received and then responded to the PERM. The approval scale would then me extremely haphazard jumping back and forth. But we do see some linearity in approvals most of the time.

So does the DOL look at case in a linear fashion based on the Submission date( A number) or Date of Acceptance date( Priority date) ?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

The priority date is the actual date the PERM is first submitted electronically. For the most part, they use a first in, first out system. Some cases take longer to adjudicate because of complexities. Others go to audit or supervised recruiting.

3. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Hi Ron ,

"The priority date is the actual date the PERM is first submitted electronically."

I have my older PERM and I-140 right in front of me.The PERM # is A-07149-XXXXXX which according to the Julian calendar of 2007 is May 29th 2007.My older approved I-140 however lists my PD as June 11 2007. How do the two add up . Can you please tell us why is there a 12 day gap in the A# and the listed PD ?

Julian Calendar for 2007 can be viewed at https://www.quadax.com/support/Julian2007b.pdf

4. Ron Gotcher

What does the ETA9089 approval show as the priority date? If it is different from the date the file was electronically submitted, there is an error. Did your employer, by any chance, mail in a paper application?

5. Arnab

Arnab New Member

I could not find a field which said Priority date processing on the form . However on the DOL letter of Certification , it mentions the Date of Acceptance for processing as June 11 , 2007 and the filing number as A-07149-XXXXXX. The Date of Acceptance date shows in the Priority date field on the I-140. I am not sure if the employer sent a paper form. That could have been possible.
    The "date of acceptance" is set after the employer gets the e-mail from DOL and responds. This event occurs many weeks after the PERM is submitted(electronically or paper). If that's the case how does paper form or electronic submission make a difference ?

6. Ron Gotcher

Two things. First, the date of acceptance is the priority date. If it is e-filed, that is the day the PERM is first submitted. If it is paper filed, it is the date the DOL enters the data into the system. Second, the government doesn't use a Julian calendar. They count government working days forward from October 1st. So, if October 1st is a Sunday, the following Friday would be day 5 and the Monday after that would be day 6. Intervening federal holidays are not counted.

7. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Ok , I think I am getting what I you are saying . Let me rephrase it to see if we are in sych.

So the difference in dates is because the Government working calendar starts from October(001) barring federal holidays and weekends and not January(001) as I had assumed.

Also the date of start of online drafting is the date the T PERM number(T-1538-XXXXXXX) gets generated with the October Federal calendar , and the day the perm is submitted the A PERM number (A-1538-XXXXXX) number gets generated. The date between T# and the A# does NOT change even though the submission was a week to 2 weeks later.

The day the A # is generated is the Priority date , but now this is the Christian Calendar ( Jan to Dec ).

The A # retains the same old T# with no change in the date with the October Federal calendar but the Priority date is the actual Christian Calendar date(January-Dec) thats the ONLY reason why there appears to be a difference between the dates when both are looked at from a Christian Calendar perspective.

The day the E-mail is answered by the employer has no bearing on the PD.

Do you have a link to the Federal working days Julian calendar which the DOL uses to assign PERM numbers ?

8. Ron Gotcher

I don't. If anyone know of one, please post it. The USCIS uses a similar system The first three letters of a receipt number are the service center identifier. The next two numbers are the fiscal year. The next three are the day (using the same system as the DOL) and the final five are the unique identifier.

9. msr

msr Member

That's true. This is the information that I found online in one of the immigration blog/forum few months back & feel that it's worth sharing here.

The receipt number is one of the most commonly used numbers, by immigrants and lawyers alike, to track the progress or identify a particular immigration case or filing.

These receipt numbers start with three letters and follow by a series of numbers, for example EAC-06-123-45678. Here is how to understand what the numbers mean.

The first three letters indicate the USCIS service center which is processing the petition, as follows:
    - EAC - Vermont Service Center;
    - WAC - California Service Center;
    - LIN - Nebraska Service Center; and
    - SRC - Texas Service Center.

The next two digits represent the fiscal year in which USCIS received the petition. In the example above, “06″ means that the petition was received by USCIS during Fiscal Year 2006. The next three digits " 123" represent the computer workday on which the receipt was processed and the fee was taken. Finally, the last five digits are used to uniquely identify the petition filed.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015