1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opt Status

Discussion in 'OPT changes' started by pootchkie, Mar 18, 2015.

1. pootchkie

pootchkie New Member

I applied for OPT in Feburary, it was received last month and I was able to track my status online. However, when I tried to check it today, the status became unavailable. A few numbers before and after mine were already approved. I am wondering if it's just a glitch in the system or something happened to my case?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Probably a glitch in the system.

3. Rockman

Rockman New Member

My OPT is expiring on june 1st,I have applied for H1B in premium and have not received any reply that it got picked, Is there any chance of it getting picked by the end of May? I have a immigration question, since my OPT is expiring in june 1st, Can i stay legally in USA for 2 months? and i have not joint college yet to maintain status, all colleges admission are almost over, i tried for fall admissions and it is available, but classes start in SEPTEMBER. If i join the college and transfer my SEVIS and get an i20 of the university. can i stay in the USA Legally till my classes start in September or should i immediately join college before June 1st to maintain status?
    Can Someone Please help me with this issue?

4. Ron Gotcher

All of the premium processing receipts have been sent. If you haven't gotten anything by now, you weren't picked.

You may remain lawfully for up to 60 days following the end of your OPT. Before the end of that time, you must either leave the country or apply for reinstatement as a student.

5. Kris143

Kris143 Junior Member

Hello Ron,

Once the Stem OPT is completed, can we go back to school to pursue further studies , if yes what is the Grace period allowed between starting of school and OPT completion.. Example : If OPT is completed in October 2015, Can one start school in Jan 2016 as school academic starts from Jan 2016

6. Ron Gotcher

When you complete OPT, you have 60 days to leave the country, change to another status, or go back to school.

7. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

What happens when this administration changes OPT period to 6 years? The same 60 day rule will still apply. It only defers what is ultimately evident. Why not make OPT period for 50 years? The person can retire on OPT and then go back to home country, or go back to school!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  8. soopergal

soopergal Guru

LOL!