1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OPT Extension or File H1

Discussion in 'College and University Staff' started by Sfogeek, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Sfogeek

Sfogeek Junior Member

Hello Ron,First of all I must commend you for your contribution to the immigration communityand a job well done for the database of immigration related information that you have built here.I have a question today for my unique situation.- I got enrolled in MS (computer Science) in August 2009 and last year I completed all my course work and my project was still pending and I got issued OPT in June 2011 and I got a job in September 2011 even though my project is still pending, and my 12 month OPT expires in June 2012.In March 2012 I got another job opportunity and the company is ready to file my new H1 starting from April 2012 but my OPT expires in June 2012 however my project for masters is still incomplete and university might not file OPT extension until my project is complete.So keeping my situation in mind what do you think is the best option.1) Can I still work after my OPT expires in June 2012 and based on my H1 Filed status (will not know the answer before October 2012 ) and if the answer is yes can I travel abroad in that duration and come back.( h1 will be filed based on my bachelors degree since technically my masters is still not complete)2) another option is if I come back on CPT and enroll back in one of the course in my university but in that case can I work for my new employer full time and travel abroad in between for few weeks.3) another option is I try to complete my project by end of April and have university file for OPT extension in End of April and at the same time have my new employer file for new H1B, in this scenario will my OPT extension have any affect on new H1B filing and can I travel abroad while my OPT and H1 is still pending and come back to US.Thanks!,Shiv

2. Sfogeek

Sfogeek Junior Member

Re: OPT Extension or File H1

To throw in to the mix,I am planning to get married in end of June this year.

3. Sfogeek

Sfogeek Junior Member

Any insight in to my case would be really helpfull

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I can't really give advice in individual situations. To do so, I'd need to personally review all of the unique facts and circumstances, which is impossible in a public forum situation.