1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Republican Proposal

Discussion in 'General discussion about executive action' started by Ron Gotcher, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Nothing will be passed into law till something is passed for the illegals. The President will make sure of that.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

What I'm hoping is that this whole flap over the executive actions will eventually motivate Congress to act. The Republicans have got to abandon the Hastert rule and allow bipartisan bills to come to the floor.

3. Kamakazee

The Taliban wing will not allow any bills which grants citizenship to the illegals. The Democrats should also let go on that. Maybe both can agree on a bill that makes them legal residents but never a citizen. Can something like that happen?

4. Ron Gotcher

The Dems have already agreed to that in principle.

5. Kamakazee

Lets see what happens come January. Solving this thing legislatively works best for everyone.

6. Ron Gotcher

In my opinion, the bottleneck is the House. I'm sure that the Senate can come together on a bi-partisan bill. They already have with S. 744. The problem is that in the House, Boehner is sticking to the Hastert Rule, which says that nothing can come to the floor for a vote unless a majority of Republicans favor it. He has violated that rule several times, most notably with continuing budget resolutions. He will likely have to get a substantial number of Democrats to vote for his latest budget continuing resolution.

He can be removed as Speaker if enough disgruntled Republicans call for a vote. They have threatened to do this if he tries to bring up legislation they don't like. This is really a case of the tyranny of the minority. These folks don't want to see any immigration legislation, other than border security, passed.

The problem is going to be finding a way around this hurdle. I am convinced that a majority of both Democrats and Republicans in the House want to pass bi-partisan immigration reform legislation. There are, however, about 100 who don't.

7. Kamakazee

Totally agree. Unfortunately, it is this 100 who are calling the shots in the House. Boehner really needs to man up and grow a pair. There is nothing democratic about the Hastert Rule. He did it for the budget when they got badly burnt with the shutdown, he needs to do this and get it over with. The Republicans really need to please the Latinos going into 2016 and they can declare victory if the House and Senate can manage to pass something. Unfortunately, the Taliban wing does not want to allow any legal status to the illegals and that's where all bills fail.

8. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

On the other side liberal dems don't want to fence the border.

9. Ron Gotcher

I saw an analysis recently concerning the Republican share of the white vote in the last two presidential elections and a projection for the next. Bush got 54%, Romney got 58%. Given demographic shifts and historic voting patterns, Republicans need 64% of the white vote in 2016 to win. That is simply not possible - particularly since a black man will not be running.

The only thing they can do to offset this is try to lure non-white voters away from the Democrats. If they can't do that, Hillary is going to win in a massive landslide. The only non-white voters they have any kind of chance with are Asians and Latinos. A legitimate immigration reform bill would go a long way toward leveling the playing field. The problem is that the Democrats, having satisfied their Latino constituency, have every political reason to prevent this from happening until after 2016. Also, the Republicans still have to overcome Taliban opposition within their party to even bring something to a vote.

10. dreamwalker

dreamwalker Member

I think Republicans that support immigration is questionable. Check the republican senators who supported the bill and flip flopped on that. Blocking immigration changes the election results is a news agency propagated myth and mid-term results proved the same. It is easy to convince the Americans that current rules are not enforced for illegals, legals are taking away the jobs and the companies that ask for more H1bs are just asking for cheap labor. So without passing any bill, they should be able to win vote. I think that is their strategy and whatever else they do is just a drama to pass the time.

11. dreamwalker

dreamwalker Member

what about the blacks? If they can convince illegals going to take away the jobs, they will vote for whoever oppose immigration.

12. Ron Gotcher

I think most black voters today rightly or wrongly see the Republican party as the political wing of the KKK. I really don't see them budging much from voting 90%+ for Dems.

13. Ron Gotcher

14. Senram

Senram Member

Again Obama can make sure that Hillary loses by his next 2 year actions. Remember Obama came with 240 plus seats in house and 59 seats in Senate in 2008. He made sure that once considered as impossible in 6 years time. I think 2 more years is enough to help GOP to get Presidency(LOL) though demographics favor democrats. Even intentional give up of Mary Laundrieu election shows democrats easily give up when too much competition. Though house republicans are too much conservative the way Mitch Mcconnel working is promising for GOP. I think we can see divisions in democratic senate in next 2 years and some unity in republican senate.

15. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

2008 election results are an outlier. I would say that he was lucky to get such a mandate.

Sen. John McCain said "American Economy was fundamentally Strong" the following week Lehman Brothers collapsed ....

16. Senram

Senram Member

If Obama care was not passed or passed by bipartisan way democrats could keep both houses easily. That made White voters united to defeat democrats. They got early warning by losing seat vacated by Kennedy but still they failed to learn and correct. Still Obama and democrats are ignoring opinion polls in many of the issues.and relying only on Latino and minority votes for 2016 election. The problem is Latino and minority are lazy to vote and some do not know how to vote. And no one in democratic party are working in ground level to bring those votes.

17. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I am going to re-iterate what I have said earlier. Romney lost 2012 because he was seen a vulture capitalist could not convince White Blue Collar Voters.

18. Ron Gotcher

Keep in mind that it wasn't just 2008. Obama because the first two term president since Eisenhower to win back to back popular vote majorities. No one in the interim - even Reagan - was able to do that.

19. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

2008 was in reference to winning all three. Agree with you on the popular vote, but he won fewer electoral votes the second time.

20. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

clarifying. Fewer electoral votes when compared to 2008