1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Outreach Efforts - Volunteers Needed

Discussion in 'Immigration Policy' started by cuckoo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. cuckoo

cuckoo Super Moderator

We have done what we could on the reg. We are now in standby mode. The WH official had promised further consultation but we have seen his enthusiasm diminish and it does not look very promising at this point. Here are a couple of things we can do to try to put ourselves in a better place than where we are.

1. We plan to reach out to the Indian government and educate them about our issues. So far, only the IT consultancy industry has lobbied with the government and we have seen the government use its leverage with the administration and even fight for them (at the WTO for the fee increase). It is time they also understand our plight, if not the the dark side of that industry, and raise our issues too with this or the next administration. We need people to pitch in to draft a letter to the PMO. The letter will outline the background, the issues we face (presume they know nothing about us or our issues because that is most likely the case), how the IT consulting industry efforts, such as easier L1, and their dislike of executive actions may have derailed the little relief we may have gotten; ways in which the government can help us change US immigration policy towards employees.

2. We plan to reach out to the tech industry bosses (indian origin ones and others as well) to educate them of our issues and seek their help. Again, we need people to volunteer to make this happen.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    PDCOM and jvxr like this.
  2. ColumbusDude

ColumbusDude Active Member

Sorry, I am totally confused. Can you post the background material?

3. foia

foia Guru

4. cuckoo

cuckoo Super Moderator

Not sure what your question is. Could you be more specific please?

5. foia

foia Guru

I posted the link to the official PMO site, but personally, I don't think Indian government will care about our immigration issues. They would rather be happier if we go back and invest there as an entrepreneur. e.g., the start-up program etc. Unless you are thinking of movinbg back, the start-up program is not for you. Regarding the tech industry bosses of Indian origin, I don't have much to comment about except, I personally know one of them and when I tried to discuss with him regarding the backlog issue, it seemed he is pretty much aware of it and have been himself through it a lot, but now don't care much. Verbally, they just say they can't do anything.

6. cuckoo

cuckoo Super Moderator

Well, once we take the position that nobody cares and nobody would do anything then there is nothing to be done. We can sit and twiddle our thumbs, dwell in our misery and complain endlessly. Or we can try to change mindsets and get other stakeholders to support us. Obama administration and the congress has no reason to help us either. We don't get anyone votes or give them large donations for elections. Negative thinking is a wonderful thing. And misery loves company. Enjoy

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    PDCOM and Rick D like this.
  7. foia

foia Guru

Then you din't get my point.

NN5 likes this.
  8. Bavla

Bavla Junior Member

You think Govt of India doesn't know already? Would be immigrants to US are the last set of people govt' of India should worry about. If I were in PMO, I would be laughing at such a letter. WE chose to move . Any alleviation of GC / visa backlog will strip Indian outsourcing companies of any leverage they have over the on-site employees. Govt of India stands to lose millions of dollars if the outsourcing companies are hurt.

I agree that we should reach out to Indian origin prominent techies in US. It needs to be communicated that NOT ONE entrepreneur will emerge from foreign workers if H1b's are stuck in backlogs.

9. foia

foia Guru

I tried to tell exact same thing and got a lecture on negativity and pessimism. Moderators think they are the smartest pepole in the world.

NN5 and JeffDiw like this.
  10. Bavla

Bavla Junior Member

If anything, we should underscore the difference between non-outsourcing EB applicant on perpetual H1b and TCS/Infy H1 application in terms of value each brings to US.