1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ITIN Rules

Discussion in 'Individuals' started by LPaandi, Sep 12, 2012.

1. LPaandi

LPaandi Junior Member

I'm a fan of this forum for a while now, and I hate to ramble on my first post.

In the past few days, I found out after a lot of frustration that IRS has new interim rules for ITIN applications, effective June this year. You can no longer submit notarized copies of the supporting documents. You have to submit originals, or copies certified by the issuing authority. This is apparently a reaction to an investigative reporting by a Texas area TV station that a lot of money is refunded to illegal immigrants who successfully apply ITINs for non-existent children and get tax credits.

The option of your local IRS office verifying the original documents is gone too. Even if you submit the application through your local office, they will have to forward the original to the central Texas office.

I found out all this through visits to the IRS office and phone calls of hours with the IRS help line.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Implements-Interim-Changes-to-ITIN-Application-Requirements-1

"These interim procedures apply to applicants generally seeking ITINs for the purposes of filing U.S. individual income tax returns. Because the April 17 filing deadline has passed, the IRS anticipates that a small number of taxpayers will need ITINs between now and the end of the year for these purposes."

Unfortunately, my wife and I are one of the "small number of taxpayers". We're applying for her ITIN (she's on H4), and her passport with visa is the only supporting document that applies to her. We cannot afford to send in her passport now, as she is traveling within the next 45 days. The ITIN processing time is 60 days.

It is sad and extremely frustrating to find honesty met with suspicion, just because the system is abused by the dishonest. This has been true for the H1B system, and now the ITIN application.

Sorry for the ramble, but I had to vent.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: New ITIN Rules

Thanks for this post. The problem of false dependent claims is a serious one, but there has to be a better solution. Have you tried complaining to your congressman or senator?