1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Change During Naturalization

Discussion in 'Naturalization to become a US citizen' started by Vikram Parmar, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Vikram Parmar

Vikram Parmar New Member

I and my wife became citizens during December 2016. I applied for renunciation and visa to Indian counselate at sfo location. They have put all 4 applications(2 each) requesting court order for name change. During oath ceremony they did not give any additional documents apart from naturalization certificate. I have given all additional documents including state ID, Utility Bills, Letter from SSN but since the name in US passport is not the same as Indian Passport I am struck in the process.

Any recommendations or suggestions? I have an immediate travel to India coming up in February that I have to go.

2. JoeF

JoeF Senior Member

You should have gotten a single piece of paper in addition to the naturalization certificate, which is the name change court order. That's what I got (in LA). And I needed to present that to the DMV, and SSA to have my name changed there.
    You may have to contact the district court to get a copy of that if you don't have it.
    Name changes in the US are done by district courts, and the oath ceremony is also a district court session, presided by a judge. There are, however, administrative oath ceremonies in some USCIS districts, which are not court sessions. But in these oath ceremonies, name changes are not possible.