1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother Failed English Speaking For Interview

Discussion in 'US citizenship' started by Veri Moto2015, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Veri Moto2015

Veri Moto2015 New Member

Few days back my mother had her citizenship interview. She passed the American History easily. She got the first 6 questions right. We were not aware that in this interview process they go over the N-400 form. We never reviewed it. She got nervous and confused when the USCIS officer asked her the N-400 questions. Had she calmly listened to them, she would have surely passed it.

Now my questions are as follows:

1. Can she refuse if she is assigned to the same officer next time?
    2. Do they only ask the questions on n-400 application during the interview to test the speaking and understanding part? Or they can ask unrelated questions as well? Last time they asked her to define Communism.
    3. Can someone accompany her for the interview? If yes how can they be of some help. I know the accompanying person can't answer for them but then what can be the purpose if they are allowed.
    Thanks.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

She can't refuse to be interviewed by the same person. How old is she and how long has she had a green card? They should allow her to have someone accompany her, but that person can't answer questions on her behalf.

3. Veri Moto2015

Veri Moto2015 New Member

Thanks for your reply. My mother is 65 years old and she has been having her green card for last 5 years. I don't think she can be exempted. One more thing can you answer the following question?
    1. Do they only ask the questions on n-400 application during the interview to test the speaking and understanding part? Or they can ask unrelated questions as well? Last time they asked her to define Communism.
    Thanks.

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

They are only supposed to ask questions directly related to the N-400, as well as the 100 questions on the approved exam (available on-line).