1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

March 19th Listening Session

Discussion in 'Visa Modernization' started by Ron Gotcher, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Dear Stakeholder,

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) invitesyouto participate in alistening session on Thursday, March 19, from 2 to 3:30 p.m. (Eastern) to provide feedback on one area of the executive actions on immigration: business-focused immigration enhancements.

Under those actions, USCIS will work with other government agencies to modernize, improve and clarify immigrant and nonimmigrant visa programs to grow our economy and create jobs. During the listening session, USCIS officials will provide an overview of the new initiatives and seek your input on enhancements.

To register for this session, please follow these steps:

• Visit our registration page
    • Enter your email address and select “Submit"
    • Select “Subscriber Preferences”
    • Select the “Event Registration” tab
    • Provide your full name and organization, if any
    • Complete the questions and select “Submit”

Once we process your registration, you will receive a confirmation email with details about how to participate in the teleconference.

If you have any questions regarding the registration process, or if you have not received a confirmation email within two business days, please email us at Public.Engagement@uscis.dhs.gov.

Note to Media: This engagement is not for press purposes. Please contact the USCIS Press Office at (202) 272-1200 for any media inquiries. If you have questions regarding this engagement or other stakeholder matters, please email us at Public.Engagement@uscis.dhs.gov.

We lookforward toengaging with you!

2. gten20

gten20 Junior Member

Fingers crossed!

3. rsr_am

rsr_am New Member

just hoping that it's a full listening session - 1.5 hrs... they may have 'lots' to cover :)

4. djayash

djayash Guru

Is this session on business focused enhancements alone or would it cover employment based immigrations as well?

5. Ron Gotcher

Your guess is as good as mine. I suspect that it will cover EB immigration.

6. djayash

djayash Guru

Hmm...Why does USCIS have to be so ambiguous all the time?

7. Ron Gotcher

Because no one speaks for the agency. There are several factions, each with their own policy agenda.

8. ARam

ARam Guru

Hi Ron,

Can anyone(interested individuals) register for this event and listen in or does it have to be someone with connections to a legal organization/law firm/advocacy org etc?

9. montyp80

montyp80 Junior Member

Ron, not sure what to interpret out of this teleconference. Few questions...

1. As per EO on 20th Nov, USCIS/DOS report is due March 20th. This conf is on 19th and as mentioned in the description above, they want inputs from the listeners as well, does this mean they will take all the inputs into consideration and submit final report to Administration (again that's due on March 20th so they would barely have any time to incorporate those in their report)?
    2. I read earlier somewhere on the forum that Re-interpretation of statue or unused GC Re-capture is technically DOS's agenda, does this mean we should not expect to hear anything related to Re-interpretation of statue or unused Re-capture during this listening session?

Any feedback would be greatly help clear some of these doubts.

10. Ron Gotcher

This is open to the public.

11. Ron Gotcher

You probably heard from me that visa quota issues are the Dept. of State's turf. I doubt that the USCIS will address this specific issue directly. It could come up in the context of "this is how we are going to handle the expected influx of new applications following statutory reinterpretation . . . "

12. montyp80

montyp80 Junior Member

Well that's a bummer!

My guess is the only thing concrete (for my purpose) we may get to hear on this call would be around 'pre-registration' then.

Do you anticipate DOS to schedule teleconference like this to discuss their recommendations (like re-interpreation/re-capture) to POTUS?

13. Ron Gotcher

That's hard to say. If I were going to guess, the answer would be no.

14. yubeie

yubeie Member

Per my understanding (I hope I am wrong), the conference seems to focus on business immigration program, investment VISAs in particular.
    I doubt they would have any updates regarding EB based immigration...let's see..

15. speedracer

speedracer Guru

one of the major sections in the executive actions was section 4 - so being said what exactly is business immigration program?
    if they have already collected the input in Jan, why would they ask for input again? Its just very counterproductive to do same things and collect info on challenges that have been know for over 10 years. any light on what exactly are major talking points for 19th and if they are going to open it for questions? what kind of questions should be asked?

16. Ron Gotcher

They are laboring under the delusion that HQ policies will be respected and followed by field offices.

17. mfd1402

mfd1402 Senior Member

Ron, any information about why the April visa bulletin is delayed usually it is released around 10th of the month is it possible that they are planning on visa recapture in 19th March conference and hence the bulletin is delayed till the 19th March conference

18. Ron Gotcher

I wish that were the case. I suspect that they are probably waiting for data from the USCIS.

19. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

Visa Bulletin should be released today

20. ARam

ARam Guru

the April 2015 bulletin is out.... So that puts an end to all the stories

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.