1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For Clarification Regarding The Dol Soc Codes

Discussion in 'AC 21 I-140 Portability' started by yubeie, Nov 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. yubeie

yubeie Member

hello all,

I happened to read through the draft for AC21 same or similar occupation rule and I am a little worried..
    I work for a medium sized tech company that sells software solutions to address network and application performance management. So my labor was filed under the SOC code 15-1031 (as per the 2000 system http://www.bls.gov/soc/2000/soc_c1d1.htm), so the same under the SOC2010 would be 15-1132 http://www.bls.gov/soc/2010/soc151132.htm

While my duties listed in the job description do match up with the above SOC codes, I primarily use my computer networking skills on a daily basis. (So instead of troubleshooting live networks, I use our tool to do similar stuff to provide support)

With the same/similar clarification I was anticipating that I would be able to accept opportunities as a network operations engineer if need be in future using the AC21 rule. Infact I did have two offers early this year that I let go because of the whole VB anticipation.. But the SOC code for network engineers seems to be 15-1152 http://www.bls.gov/soc/2010/soc151152.htm

The proposed AC21 clarification seems to be totally based on broad occupation + detailed occupation which includes the last three digits of the SOC. So would that mean, if I accept a network engineering position I cannot reuse my labor?

Experts please shed some light.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

I think they are making a huge mistake. I'll be researching this and publishing my results.

cuckoo likes this.
  3. yubeie

yubeie Member

Ron..

As an example, an employee works for a company A that develops and sells software solutions to address "network" performance issues. The employee provides support for these software solutions. The employee MUST require skills in both software development as well as computer networking. The SOC code in the labor is filed as 15-1132 because he/she is supporting the software solution for the company.

However if he/she would like to pursue a network engineering career which they are equally knowledgeable and a skill that they use everyday as a part of the current position for which the labor application was filed (and included in the job duties of the labor application), the closest matching SOC code would be 15-1152. Please note that in this case the employee would like to progress horizontally in their career.

Based on the examples cited in the memorandum, it does not seem to allow for this change. The same or similar classification does not explain/address the cases where individuals use multiple skills and fit in multiple "broad occupation" codes. They are just placed in one of the eligible codes listed due to the system requirements/limitations.

This is an extremely important limiting factor for individuals like me who although may be doing jobs that fit multiple profiles but can only use one occupation code and cannot progress horizontally in their careers.

cuckoo and Jed_I_Knight like this.