1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Litigation To Stop Executive Actions

Discussion in 'General discussion about executive action' started by Ron Gotcher, May 29, 2015.

1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

2. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

I do not think anyone else other than Senram thinks that the Republicans have any chance of entering the WH other than when invited.

cuckoo likes this.
  3. mar212011

mar212011 Well Regarded Member

i would strongly support :), but WH could have done more

4. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I concur with senram. I have a strong suspicion that DACA/DAPA would get struck down.

5. Ron Gotcher

I don't particularly like Hillary, but I think the only way she loses is (a) she decides not to run, or (b) she is caught on video killing someone.

6. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

GOP needs 64 electoral votes to take back presidency.

Nevada is ruled out and NH may not make a big difference if GOP can't carry Ohio. GOP needs a candidate who can take back
    Florida->29
    Colorado->9
    Virginia->13
    Ohio->18

7. Kamakazee

Either way, DAPA is going to be dragged till Mid 2016 right? The administration seems more focused on clearing the courts than trying to lift the injunction. I read about the President, Cecilia Munoz, Katharine Vargas giving statements that the administration will fight this through thick and thin as the President's actions are justified. If only they showed half the enthusiasm for legal immigrants.

Maybe the President could have included in his speech: "By the way, I also asked to reduce GC backlog for high skilled immigrants. What happened to that? I want to see results by next Friday." Wouldn't that be something?

8. Senram

Senram Member

You are based on current hopeless situation for GOP. But if you would have watched past elections there were lot of changes after GOP candidate is announced. So I would accept winning of Hillary if same opinion poll levels are maintained in october 2016

9. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

True, There are no first term senators who can capture the imagination of young voters.

bhuvr likes this.
  10. Senram

Senram Member

Only way of keeping DACA/DAPA is by background deal with GOP or GOP purposefully taking defeat in the court

11. Kamakazee

No great orators either and no one from the largest minority group who can make them believe that their times will finally change for the better.

12. gten20

gten20 Junior Member

I don't think it will be a cakewalk for Hillary.

13. Kamakazee

Maybe Martin O Malley, ex-governor from my state can emerge as a contender. He is famous for taxing the rain in our state. Maybe if he becomes President, he can impose that in every state. Texas will be taxed to death. CA will fare well as they do not get much rain anyway.

14. Senram

Senram Member

If there were stronger candidate in democrats then Hillary would have lost her candidature itself. In 2008 Obama came without any background but just by Oratory skills he could beat Hillary easily. I doubt Hillary can take up the pressure and handle for next 15 months. Hillary had much better chance at 2008 than 2016

15. Kamakazee

The problem is that the Democrats do not have a strong challenger.

16. gten20

gten20 Junior Member

Elizabeth Warren, but she is not interested in 2016.
    https://www.facebook.com/runwarrenrun2016

17. Ron Gotcher

Back in 2010 I speculated that the Republican scorched earth policy would come back to bite them in the butt if they re-took control of Congress, and it has. They are getting absolutely zero cooperation from the Democrats.

They need to think carefully about challenging executive actions. Unless, like me, they believe that no Republican will ever be elected president again, this strategy could set a dangerous precedent to be used against their guy.

18. Senram

Senram Member

Threatening by some groups like Latino groups that give citizenship to illegal immigrants otherwise we will vote for democrats is a dangerous trend. Giving in for that is not patriotic. I am sure people will ignore the immigration issue in 2016 and other issues will become limelight. Even for executive actions democrats can win the courts to get legitimacy. Obama told on last Nov sue me. Now there is no point in blaming GOP for the court actions. Still government has more power and more protections than the normal citizen. Getting even a small win against government is difficult though action of government is illegal.. Even now most of the media and lawyers are predicting that final ruling from Supreme court will favor Obama. That will come latest by June 2016. That is not a big delay compared to many years they were waiting. Why not be patient? If not let President sit down with congress to try to pass a bill.

19. Ron Gotcher

The anti-immigration litigation is largely being whipped up by a single "public interest" right wing organization in Washington DC. What I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. If they are successful, don't think for a moment that those precedents won't be used by left-wing groups against a Republican president. Once that genie is out of the bottle, it isn't going back in.

20. justice

justice Member

Do you really think Hilary has a chance? i think this so-called 'advanced, free nation' still has a lot of prejudice towards women. IF she does win, then we have a big problem and that is this( atleast according to many):

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/bill-clinton-as-first-gent-hed-break-new-ground-120118281561.html

21. Ron Gotcher

I think that Donald Duck could run as a Democrat and beat the Republican candidate. The Republican base has forced their candidates to prove their ideological purity. This puts them on the wrong side of independents, without whom they have no chance of winning. I don't see next year's vote as pro-Hillary as much as it is anti-Republican.

cuckoo likes this.