1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal Immigration: New Politics

Discussion in 'General discussion about executive action' started by ead140watcher, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Senram

Senram Member

Actually attempting to abolish birthright citizenship is too late now. They should have done before 2000 as the demography was supporting for that. Now it is very difficult as it is too political in nature and difficult even to get a simple majority in senate. India population after independence was 330 million and that was considered as huge and they encouraged family control. In 2010 US has more than 300 million(though the land is 3 times India still livable land may be 2 times than India) and still it cannot have unlimited immigration. At some point of time they may realize and control everything but that will be too late. Overall direct immigration numbers I am not anticipating any increase or decrease in annual numbers for next 10 years( I am sure EB3-I and EB2-I waiters will not happy) but there will be attempts to increase but talks of reducing immigration will make the immigrants happy with status quo.

2. ead140watcher

ead140watcher New Member

3. ead140watcher

ead140watcher New Member

4. Irm3

Irm3 Member

5. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I am getting divisive now. Please bear with me. Cruz got it right, majority of the visas, both H1B and immigrant visas are gobbled up by people working for IT companies.

6. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

In case you hadn't noticed, we stopped being a manufacturing country a long time ago. We provide services these days.

yamanoor likes this.
  7. manixium

manixium Super Moderator

I don't think it's being divisive to state facts. This is the reality today.

8. yamanoor

yamanoor Guru

The reality must have to do with where the jobs, needs and cash flows are. It is impossible to imagine that there is wasteful immigration for IT jobs, or that the application of Information Technology to our economy and lifestyle is anywhere close to reaching a saturation point.

9. agulv

agulv Guru

IT is temporary industry subject to economic factors. There lot of folks like me who are non IT and have to face our luck in this environment.

aqva likes this.
  10. manixium

manixium Super Moderator

The problem is that the EB system is out of date with current developments in technology. We need a new system for handling contract stuff, which seems to happen a lot in IT.

In general the EB system is out of touch with today's tech job market. In the bay area, people keep switching jobs, and skills get refreshed every year. EB system is fit for the job market in the 90s, or maybe in the government - not for the rapidly evolving tech market.

agulv likes this.
  11. agulv

agulv Guru

We need to be practical in this environment. We all know how things are going. The only hope I see is cracking down EB1 abuse and hoping for less porting for EB2 applicants like me to see 2012 soon.

12. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Ron said that EB2ROW filings at his firm is 2.1 times EB3ROW filings. But he also stressed that they are not a typical firm - they probably handle most high skilled immigration cases and hence more EB2s than EB3s. I still want to believe that EB3ROW is actually more than EB2ROW.

Also, shouldn't people lose interest to port if the rule is implemented? For most with a FT job, that is very similar to getting a GC. Will there be additional interest to port?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  13. rcht148

rcht148 Member

EB2-ROW is current and EB3-ROW is Aug15-2015 (as good as current). I don't see any window where they would even have a chance to port. They will most likely file i140 and i485 together and get a green card few months later. If the rumors are true about the rule being applicable 1 year after i140 is approved, I don't think they will ever avail any benefits provided by this rule.

14. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

I meant EB3I to EB2I porting. If the rule comes into effect, people can lose interest in porting if they move to EAD/AP. Specially the ones in FT job, it would be close to a GC.

15. rcht148

rcht148 Member

Traditionally speaking (excluding retrogression like we have now), EB3-I would get GC 3-5 years after EB2-I. This would translate into,
    1. Easier travel (say entry into Canada or similar countries which value US GC and transit while traveling to India) on GC compared to EAD/AP
    2. Avoiding hassle to renew EAD/AP after 1-3 years.
    3. Accrue time towards citizenship.
    4. Job opportunities restricted to GC/citizenship (see pt. 3 again) specially research oriented.

If the gap between EB2-I and EB3-I narrows like it is now, people may not port but as it was until July '15, it's a no brainer whether there is i140-EAD/AP or not. Getting GC 3-5 years early is a very big motivation.