1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal Immigration: New Politics

Discussion in 'General discussion about executive action' started by ead140watcher, Aug 21, 2015.

1. ead140watcher

ead140watcher New Member

Created this thread to discuss on how legal Immigration is viewed by different 2016 Candidates

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

3. smartboy

smartboy Senior Member

Like his 75 percentile wages idea for H-1. Similar hikes should be proposed for other visa categories too.

Republicans interpretation of 14th amendment is weird/funny though. They live and eat consitution and this is what they come up with. lol!!

4. Ron Gotcher

Actually, I think their 14th Amendment arguments are the only ones that make sense, out of everything they have said. Consider, children of diplomats born in the U.S. are not citizens at birth because they owe no fealty to the U.S. A person who enters illegally also owes no fealty to the U.S. People who enter legally agree, implicitly, to obey the laws of this country. They are subject to the jurisdiction of this country. I think a good argument can be made that illegals are not subject to the jurisdiction of this country because they were never admitted lawfully.

friend1983, soopergal and cuckoo like this.
  5. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Shouldn't this be a good time to propose wage verification for L1s, specially the L1Bs? Do republicans eve know about the L1 visa? Everyone freaks out about the H1Bs.

6. Ron Gotcher

No one seems to know about L1B abuse.

7. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

Illegals should not be given citizenship. Most countries across the world do not even give citizenship's to legals. There is a billion dollar business in china to bring pregnant women here and get citizenship. Its a shame no president wants to create a guest work program. I dont think most illegals want citizenship, they want to have better life.

cuckoo and Jed_I_Knight like this.
  8. Jed_I_Knight

Jed_I_Knight Member

So how far back does America go to "clean up" this issue. We begin the Latin American crowd and drill down right to the Irish? Germans? Scottish? (if they have a history/record of illegal immigration that is).

9. Ron Gotcher

Nothing is going to happen unless/until Congress passes something and it gets reviewed by the Supreme Court.

10. Jed_I_Knight

Jed_I_Knight Member

Even 90% of those "H1B" shenanigans is just hoax from Mr.Floppy Hair to rile up the "it was better in the 60s crowd". Biden would chew him out, and that is really saying something. Biden probably could not chew threw a marshmallow even if he had shark teeth.

11. smartboy

smartboy Senior Member

Agreed that it makes sense but going by text in section I of Amendment 14:

How clear can the intention/interpretation be.

This is not to say that it cannot be changed, but it can take another amendment IMO. All those quoting wikipedia of other countries rescinding birth citizienship, how many of those countries have that in their constituion and how many were taken the amendment path?

12. Ron Gotcher

Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution gives Congress plenary authority over citizenship and naturalization. Clarifying legislation, specifying that at least one parent must be in the U.S. lawfully at the time of the child's birth to confer citizenship should be sufficient.

friend1983 likes this.
  13. cuckoo

cuckoo Super Moderator

There was nothing illegal about just crossing the border over and living here for long time. So one couldn't be illegally here probably up until 1790.

14. Ron Gotcher

Entry without inspection has been a federal crime since at least 1952.

Legal Immigrant likes this.
  15. Legal Immigrant

Legal Immigrant Banned

Really?

16. Jed_I_Knight

Jed_I_Knight Member

But one could then argue on a technicality (help me Ron) that you cannot just say anyone who was illegal after 1st Jan 2016 is OOL and needs to be sent back. The La-Raza and other factions would yank all support from the left and the right unequivocally.

17. smartboy

smartboy Senior Member

So there is a contradiction..Otherwise how can this happen for decades,if not centuries..

What precedes what in this or any context when its Constitution related..

18. Ron Gotcher

It would take Republican control of both Congress and the White House. Congress could pass legislation, defining what is meant by "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" and the matter would ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court. What Congress might put in that legislation is anyone's guess. They could, for example, provide that any child born in the U.S. after the date the legislation is enacted would not receive citizenship. They could also go all in and try to strip all children of illegals of citizenship. I have no idea what those crazies might do, which is why I'm no longer a Republican.

19. ead140watcher

ead140watcher New Member

You know I always noticed how Trump speaks with clarity..no pauses..no umms..no aaass..he is clear..I thought about his plan...I think as a foreigner I support it too..I will be ok with no birthright citizenship even for legals..I mean no other country except Canada does it...Limit H1B to people who come here to study...pause new green cards but clear existing backlog..I like it...

Now I just pray that Republican party has control of Senate and Congress..I blame Democrats for tieing Legal reform with illegal reform...

20. Ron Gotcher

Be careful what you wish for. Trump has also called for reducing EB immigration.