1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J1 visa holder starting an LLC

Discussion in 'Start up company issues' started by ramokomarto, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ramokomarto

ramokomarto Junior Member

Hello,
    I am an exchange trainee, and I am starting an LLC with a friend who is a US citizen.
    I have read that I have to be a passive investor if i want the company to sponsor me for H1B.

For the moment we have not raised money, we still do not have a client list, we have no premises but we are confident that the business will pick up rapidly.
    We are a risk consulting company on a pretty rare specialty so we believe we will have no problem for the degree and specialty requirements.

Do you believe we can build a convincing case for an H1B petition ?

We understand that we will have to provide cash flow previsions, and a business plan.

What can make the difference in such a case ?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: J1 visa holder starting an LLC

You may use your own company as an H1B petitioner, but you will have to establish that the company will be able to survive and continue doing business after you leave the country. Also, as with any H petitioner, you will have to prove that the company has the ability to pay the offered salary throughout the entire time you request for an H stay.

3. ramokomarto

ramokomarto Junior Member

Thank you Ron,

for your answer it confirms what i have read, the main thing seems to build a file that will answer the administration questions on the viability of the company.
    We have read that it goes from capital secured, (equity and loans), offices lease and pictures, clients contracts, partnerships and financial statements currents and projected.
    It seems that all communication material, website, brochures seem to have to be included as well.
    Thanks again for confirming that it is possible to petition.

4. Ron Gotcher

Good luck with your venture.

5. margarita.p

margarita.p New Member

Hello,

Is it possible to open LLC in US being on J1 visa (trainee program) without any US citizen?

6. Ron Gotcher

Yes, but you can't work for it.

7. Sheree Robinson

Sheree Robinson New Member

I am have a J1 visa status and just formed a LLC. How can I prove that I don't work for the business? Can my husband on a J2 with work permit run the business?