1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Safe To Say That Cir Is Official Dead Until 2016?

Discussion in 'Immigration legislation' started by darkeye50, Aug 8, 2014.

1. darkeye50

darkeye50 Junior Member

what do u think? is there still a chance of CIR passing within Obama term?

how many years do you think CIR will pass ?

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Nothing is certain, but CIR is definitely on life support. I would be shocked if it passed, but stranger things have happened. Depending on the election results, there is a remote possibility that the House will bring up the Senate bill. It is also possible that we will see some smaller bills pass through the House next year. All in all, though, I think that significant immigration legislation is dead until 2017.

3. darkeye50

darkeye50 Junior Member

For election results, if democrats gain house seat, republicans in house will like bring CIR bill up to vote? And do you think that how many vote would CIR that passed by senate get if the bill get voted by house of representative today?

4. mgfag2000

mgfag2000 Member

CIR is dead....period....Boehner has said he is not going to bring up a comprehensive 1000+ page bill for a vote this year. The smaller individual bills yes that he will. With guys like Ted Cruz and Jeff Sessions in command Boehner doesn't have much clout to get anything done let alone immigration.

The prez is looking to issue executive order as early as next month. He thinks by doing that he will increase the chances of Dems winning in the midterms. But, again, he is wrong.

The Dems are going to lose both the House and Senate this year. You are looking the most poisonous, grid locked congress in 2015 and 2016. I will be glad if I am proven wrong. But unfortunately this is how it will unfold.

So don't hold your breath.. However, the one thing that I see and hope that happens is the Prez issuing executive order for visa recapture and removal of dependents from the visa count. This, apparently, is possible and within the legal framework. So yes I am waiting for BO to get back to DC from his vacation and actually work on this issue.

5. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Any Immigration Bill that helps EB applicants will never pass for another 2.5 years for various reasons. Recently both houses passed a bill to provide PRs to afghans, this is indeed an immigration bill so it is incorrect to say that both parties cannot find common ground

DamperGreen likes this.