1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Okay To Take Up Contract Jobs In Canada While On Vacation On H1b?

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Applications' started by casper, Oct 7, 2016.

1. casper

casper New Member

Is it OK to take up contract jobs while on vacation in Canada while having a US job on H1b?

To clarify, assume the contract job would be done while in Canada during vacation assuming I have the necessary Canadian work permit, visa etc.

2. luckbychance

luckbychance Member

H1B is for work in US only. To the best of my knowledge, whatever work you do outside US (physical location) it has nothing to do with USCIS or H1B visa. You can do it.

3. casper

casper New Member

Thanks for your reply. What I now want to know is does USCIS treat such instances in reality? @Ron Gotcher could you comment what real difficulties might be faced by an individual who did some contract work while on vacation oustide US? I'm thinking difficulties arising because of filing this income at the time of tax filing and this appearing at the time of Visa renewal or GC processing?

4. Greeeeencard

Greeeeencard Guru

It won't affect H1B but it might violate Canada immigration laws since being on vacation prohibit you to work, not sure of rules there though

5. Greeeeencard

Greeeeencard Guru

Ignore it, I missed the part that you already have canadian work permit, you are OK

6. casper

casper New Member

Does anyone know the answer to how USCIS treats this?

7. casper

casper New Member

@Ron Gotcher could you comment? Would be grateful if anyone else has any input.