1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it necessary to show the Reentry Permit if the travel is less than 6 months?

Discussion in 'Retention of US residency' started by pop, Sep 25, 2012.

1. pop

pop Member

An LPR does not know how long he will travel abroad because do not know whether a patient will get better or worse. So he has to apply for a Reentry Permit I-131 as a backup document. If he receives his Reentry Permit but only travel abroad for such as 3 months, does he still need to present the CBS inspector with the Reentry Permit when he returns or it is unnecessary to show it at POE? Thank you for your answer.

2. JoeF

JoeF Senior Member

Re: Is it necessary to show the Reentry Permit if the travel is less than 6 months?

It is not necessary to show a reentry permit if you are only traveling for a couple of months.

3. pop

pop Member

Re: Is it necessary to show the Reentry Permit if the travel is less than 6 months?

An LPR may have to travel abroad to take care of his disabled parent. If the trip lasts more than 6 months but less than one year such as 10 months, do you think the LPR needs to apply for a Reentry Permit or it is still unnecessary? Thank you for your answer.

4. JoeF

JoeF Senior Member

It is a good idea to have a reentry permit in such a case, in case the trip abroad gets prolonged. It never hurts.
    I got a reentry permit after my father had a bad accident, since I didn't know if and how fast he would recover. In the end, it turned out I didn't need the reentry permit.