1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immigration Reform Looks Dead In This Congress

Discussion in 'Immigration legislation' started by Ron Gotcher, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

2. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Now that's some breaking news!! What happened to the Republicans passing bills after controlling both chambers? Is this also a sign of waving the white flag on the 2016 Presidential elections?

3. Ron Gotcher

It's just a confirmation of what we already knew.

4. djayash

djayash Guru

Ron, so what does this entail? Are all the enhancements ordered by the President back in November are considered dead? or just DACA and DAPA for now? Does legal immigration still have hope?

5. Ron Gotcher

Immigration legislation appears to be dead in this Congress. Executive actions are quite another thing.The President said that he was taking the executive actions because of Congress's failure to act.

6. asdk

asdk New Member

Oh they werent going to work on Immigration at all. To them Immigiration mostly means illigal. Unfotunately new Senate leaders wont allow any smaller bills on Legal Immigration as well.

Ron, What do you think of the Hatch bill that Grassley said he will let Sessions Committe to decide - any chance of this? i know its mostly dead, but asking to try luck again.

7. Ron Gotcher

I think it's dead.

8. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

All we have is a bunch of overpaid and under working Senators and house of representatives

9. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I said this before the elections and reiterate it again. After taking control of both house GOP is now convinced that Immigration Reform is not needed to win 2016 presidential elections.

10. Ron Gotcher

I agree that this is what they now believe. Let's see how it works out for them.

11. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Why do the Republicans make the same mistake over and over again?? Winning seats in Congress thanks to redistricting and winning the Presidential elections are 2 different things.

12. asdk

asdk New Member

Ron, I actually think Republians have a strong chance. Not becuase of Immigration( with or without it). Its because Demomcrats dont have a strong Presedential candidate. Reublicans have good left/middle candidates. I see lot of scope of Jeb Bush although a Bush clan. All aside, i think people always go for change, change be it good or bad, merely want to try a change.

13. Ron Gotcher

I like Jeb and wouldn't mind seeing him become President. The problem that he has is that in order to win the nomination, he is going to have to take positions so far to the right that they will kill him in the general election.

14. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Neither party has won 3 presidential elections in a row after WW II with the exception of Bush. Sr. in 1988. Their sense is that 2016 will not be 1988.

15. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Romney couldn't convince that he was different from Bush, Jeb's task is even more difficult. The challenge is to bring back working class white voters .

16. Ron Gotcher

I just don't see how Republicans get around the demographics. They have designed their policies to appeal to white men. For the past few elections, that is the only demographic group that they have won. I really don't see them increasing their share of other groups, yet white men are an increasingly smaller share of the electorate.

17. Rick D

Rick D Active Member

Jeb Bush is definitely to the left of Romney's self deportation stance, and he has been sticking to it firmly so far. We will see if that lasts once the primary debates start.
    But more importantly, a simple question in the primaries, "Will you repeal DACA and DAPA when you become the president" will be more problematic than a candidate's support for legal status(which many GOP candidates support in some form or shape). It is difficult to win primary voters if you answer no to the question, while saying yes will scare away Latino voters.

18. Ron Gotcher

That's the problem. To get the nomination, a Republican candidate has to move very far to the right. Doing so then cripples the candidate in the general election.

19. DonDraper

DonDraper Guru

The next president is going to the choice between the lesser of the evil's. If the choice is going to hillcrazy clinton vs bush, there is a good chance that bush might squeeze in by a point.

20. Ron Gotcher

I think that Jeb is really the only hope for the Republicans and even he is a long shot. I'm afraid of what he is going to have to say in order to get the nomination. It will likely kill him in the general election.