1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immigration Innovation Act Re-introduced

Discussion in 'Immigration legislation' started by Ron Gotcher, Jan 13, 2015.

1. rsr_am

rsr_am New Member

That's true - enforcement still vests with the govt/executive branch.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

If the laws were enforced, the shady operators would go out of business and life would be so much easier for the rest of us.

3. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I know people who have preserved their H1 by using fake pay stubs. These people have successfully managed to to get EAD/GC. what happenned to all the background checks ?

4. Ron Gotcher

Simple, the USCIS didn't do their job.

5. ColumbusDude

ColumbusDude Active Member

I don't think you have a coherent idea of what you are talking about dude. It is not just the recession that is a fallout of out sourcing, most of the ills that afflict american society can be linked directly to outsourcing actually. But americans have themselves to blame because they are not being competitive. People don't want to pay top dollar for a shoe, shirt or short made in US, because they can buy the same stuff for a lot cheaper if it is imported from abroad. How do you expect jobs to remain here? Hyperbole and hypocrisy are not attributes of competition.

6. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

You are too naive and your view of the world is very simplistic. If you want Darwin's theory to replace the laws of the land then you don't need a government. Many Indian Kids have the tendency to think that they are more productive than their American counterparts.
    If Indians are so competitive why do they come here ? why can't they just compete from India ?

Yes Chinese stuff is lot cheaper, but isn't the quality bad ? Given a choice I wouldn't go an buy those cheap tool kits.

bhuvr likes this.
  7. ColumbusDude

So, my dear quality conscious dude, tell me what made in US stuff do you buy? This is exactly the hypocrisy that I am referring to. You claim that chinese stuff is cheap and the quality is bad and Indian IT labor is cheap and the quality is bad, but that is exactly what the americans have become addicted to. One self righteous hypocrite does not make a country.

8. Ron Gotcher

OK, let's tone down the rhetoric and keep things civil.

9. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

I still have an auto toolbox that I bought 14 years ago at a local store when I was doing my masters.

I am not calling Indian labor crap. I am questioning your claim that they are better than American workers. H1B visas are needed only where there is shortage of skillset/workers or if there is a need for resource augmentation. Real programmers are a rare breed and its hard to find them but same cannot be said about data entry operators. The guys who lost jobs in SCE are mostly data entry operators.

I wonder how you can talk about American workers being incompetent when you want every kid with a master's degree from a tier 3 school to be given a green card.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  10. ARam

ARam Guru

How about no personal digs ColumbusDude and s_gan? It does nothing to further the conversation. Personally, I am a big fan of both of you and ofcourse Ron for your relentless and often spot on contributions.

11. ColumbusDude

Good post. What I noticed is that there was only 1 Entrepreneur in the experts and the rest were just 'speakers' who were shooting off their mouths with no practical experience. Just hypothesis. This dude Bjorn Billhardt is the man who has been an H1B beneficiary, is caucasian and an entrepreneur who has created jobs!!

12. ColumbusDude

Gotcha. Thanks for the compliment. There is no debate about stopping fraud or abuse. I am thinking about the big picture that is the root cause, while lot of people seem to be narrowly focusing on fraud/abuse to kill the big picture.

13. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

For once agree with you.

It was a fixed hearing in which discussion on STEM visas was muted. I would have liked to see someone like Vivek Wadhwa invited.

Obviously there were more interested in stereotypes.

14. ColumbusDude

15. ColumbusDude

Check this out on Oh Website:

03/18/2015: USCIS L-1B Denial Rate for Indians During FY-2012-FY-2014 Recorded at 56%

16. Ron Gotcher

The problem, once again, is the big consulting companies. They are not using L1Bs to implement software solutions they developed abroad, but rather as H1B substitutes. This is blatantly illegal, but ICE and the USCIS refuse to take any action against them.

17. rsr_am

rsr_am New Member

Am amazed at how far these companies are willing to 'stretch the law'. There is/was a company somewhere in CA that paid literally pennies to its L-1 folks since there is no 'law' about the min. wage for L-1.. High time DOL/ICE/USCIS wake up and do something.

18. Ron Gotcher

The problem that I see is that they have raised the bar on everyone and made it extremely difficult for companies to bring in legitimate L1Bs. What they should be doing is criminally prosecuting the people who sign petitions for L1Bs that get sent to third party sites that have nothing to do with the petitioner's products. A few high profile prosecutions would do wonders to eliminate this practice. Instead, the same bad actors somehow seem to get all of the L1B approvals that they want.

19. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

Ron, the thing is that the consulting companies do not develop anything. They do not have any R&D department. They only staff people to do other company's work at a lower cost and mostly do H1B duties on L1B visas. This has caused headaches to the companies who want to send genuine candidates and are facing too many obstacles.

20. Ron Gotcher

I agree. They are poison and they are ruining things for everyone else.