1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I-131 Application For Second Time

Discussion in 'Retention of US residency' started by y030910, Aug 16, 2015.

1. y030910

y030910 New Member

Hello, I was hoping someone could give me some thoughts on my situation. I am an LPR and need to apply for a reentry permit again. I have an old reentry permit set to expire in about 2 months. I intend to fly back to US before the expiry and reapply for a new one while sending the old one back to USCIS (required). I need to be outside USA between the filing of i-131 and biometrics appointment. Potentially the old permit will expire during this process, do you think this will be a problem for me upon reentry even though I will be entering the USA again in 4-6 weeks and have already sent a valid reentry permit back to the USCIS? Thank you.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

It depends on your unique facts and circumstances, particularly the reason you have gone abroad.

3. y030910

y030910 New Member

My reason is mainly due to family issues at home.

4. Ron Gotcher

If you can establish that the absence from the U.S. is clearly temporary and show your ties to the U.S., then you stand a better chance of getting a new re-entry permit.

5. livewire26

livewire26 New Member

Ron, you may have already covered this earlier, but quick question for you....I'm on EB3-I, priority date Feb 2005. I just found out that my I-485 has been pre-adjudicated. Does this mean that it is pre-approved? In other words, will it mean that I won't be getting any RFEs and get my Green Card straight away when my priority date becomes current. Thanks very much.

6. Ron Gotcher

You will likely get an RFE for new medical exam results and a current employment letter, verifying that you are working in the same or similar occupational classification.

7. livewire26

livewire26 New Member

8. y030910

y030910 New Member

I guess showing my ties will prove my absence is temporary? Other than that I don't really know how I can prove that my family issues are temporary. I do have a bank account and drivers license to tie me to the US, should I write this or attach proof in my i-131 application? Thank you Ron.

9. Ron Gotcher

Include a letter, explaining the family issues. Do your best with local ties.

10. y030910

y030910 New Member

Okay. One more question, will it make a difference if I work in my home country while I am outside of the US? am I right in thinking that employment will show lack of intent to return to the US?

11. Ron Gotcher

It might. Again, it all depends on the unique facts and circumstances of your case. There is no one size fits all answer.