1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with the question of “Expected Length of Trip” in the Reentry Permit?

Discussion in 'Retention of US residency' started by immiq, Sep 30, 2012.

1. immiq

immiq Member

How to deal with the question of “Expected Length of Trip” in the Reentry Permit, Form I-131; just fill in any time up to two years? If the applicant fills in the time less than two years, will the USCIS just approves the Reentry Permit valid for the time indicated or the approved application is always valid for two years regardless of what the expected length of trip is indicated? The applicant never applied for the Reentry Permit and traveled abroad over 6 months before. Thank you for your answer.

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

Re: How to deal with the question of “Expected Length of Trip” in the Reentry Permit?

They always approve re-entry permits for two year intervals (except for folks who just got their green cards). Set forth the actual reason for your trip and how long you expect to be gone.

3. immiq

immiq Member

Re: How to deal with the question of “Expected Length of Trip” in the Reentry Permit?

Thanks for your reply. If one got his Reentry Permit but actually just traveled abroad for less than one year such as 3, 5 months, does he need to show his Reentry Permit when he returns, by the way?

4. JoeF

JoeF Senior Member

No.
    I had a reentry permit, I never showed it, never used it. My trips were always less than a month.

Ron Gotcher likes this.