1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House Bill To Defund Dhs

Discussion in 'General discussion about executive action' started by Kamakazee, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Kamakazee

Kamakazee Super Moderator

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

The phrase "about as much chance as a snowball in hell" comes to mind. They really need to learn not to pick fights they can't win. It makes them look weak, or worse, look silly.

3. Kamakazee

This is more about pleasing their conservative voter base so that they can go home to their constituents and say "Look, I voted against Obama's amnesty." Did you see many of the Republicans from states with high population of immigrants voted against it (New York, Illinois, California etc.)?

I was reading an article that they already know its not going to pass. They said they have made the bill most conservative so that they will still get something when "watered down".

4. Ron Gotcher

They will need 67 votes in the Senate and 288 in the House to overcome a veto. Those numbers are flatly impossible to attain.

5. yamanoor

yamanoor Guru

I keep wondering if they hope to take the President to a bar, get him drunk and have him sign one of these...

6. Ron Gotcher

I don't believe they have thought this through. They don't even have enough votes in the Senate to pass it (as is), much less enough votes in either body to overcome a veto. In the end, they are going to appear weak.

7. yubeie

yubeie Member

I wonder what Republicans are exactly trying to achieve from this futile exercise??

8. Kamakazee

Please their conservative voter base.

9. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

why do they need 2/3rd majority ?

10. Kamakazee

Because President will surely veto this bill and Congress needs 2/3 majority to override his veto.

11. Satish.txt

Satish.txt Member

Instead of pass useless bill they can pass high-skill bill which make more sense, but end of the day they are just wasting time and money of American people. Bottom line is GOP have to win WhiteHouse to get rid of DACA provisioning...

12. s_gan

s_gan Super Moderator

Got it. I thought Ron meant this bill needed 2/3rds to pass.

13. mgfag2000

mgfag2000 Member

So the storm has started brewing on the hill. Feb 27 is when the funding for DHS expires. They won't get the 67 votes in the senate. However, it might still go through with all Reps supporting it and finally the prez will veto it. What a mess...as predicted. Not a good start to 2015.

14. Kamakazee

I don't think it can even get through the Senate. They need 60 votes to pass and the Republicans do not have that. It will be interesting to see what the Senate can pass.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/immigration-house-114278.html?hp=lc1_4

Instead of wasting their time and taxpayer's money trying to please their hardcore conservative base, they should pass some meaningful bills. Any idea when either Senate or House will bring up their Immigration bills? Compete America has come out in full support of both those bills.

15. Ron Gotcher

The don't seem to have any kind of strategy - they are just reacting.

16. Ron Gotcher

17. Ron Gotcher

18. yamanoor

yamanoor Guru

Fat chance of that happening. They need the votes of enough independents to win. Most Independent voters do not support such measures, and more and more voters in this country are identifying themselves as Independent. Say the GOP still wins because neither side has a great candidate, any President that repeals DACA will be a one-term President, which can be anything but bad. In the ensuing House and Senate elections, the GOP can forget majorities.

It is all fun and games ONLY till such lopsided measures get signed into law. Some people may not like unified action on immigration, but the reality is, there is no other way, not a one, by which "legal" immigration will be reformed. Accepting this political reality can go a really loooong way in people making appropriate adjustments in their strategies and lobbying.

19. Ron Gotcher

20. NeelV

NeelV Junior Member

Ron, others:

The house and senate cannot pass a reasonable spending bill that would not be vetoed.
    Given the confrontational strategies, expecting them to pass any immigration reform bill should be considered impossible.

My question for the readers is on the impact of a possible DHS shutdown.

As has been posted on the forum before, USCIS is self-funded, so we should expect EAD renewals, H-1B renewals, PERM processing, I-140 processing etc to continue.

Or could we end up in a situation that these procedures take longer than normal.
    Could it result in delayed ROW PERM, I-140 processing, making more spillover available to the backlogged countries?