1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H4 To F1 Change Of Status

Discussion in 'Nonimmigrant Visa Validity' started by Amrapali, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Amrapali

Amrapali New Member

HI

It would be very helpful if you can provide some detail answer on following concerns.

I am currently on my H4 Visa and I would like to join in MS here as a domestic applicant as the tution fee is almost half when compared to international student.

So the question here is , after 2nd or 3rd semester Can i change as a international student as I want to apply for my F1 for further H1 process .

If yes is there any minimum time required to stay in F1 Visa to apply for OPT or H1B.

Can I apply for H1B from F1 without OPT?

Thank you so much.

Regards
    Amrapali

2. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

You may apply for H1B change of status without ever holding F1 status. If you want OPT, however, you must be an F1 for at least a year.

3. Amrapali

Amrapali New Member

Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for quick reply.

I wanted to go for F1 as the consultancies and chance of picking the application in the lottery is very less for H4 - H1 where as for F1 - H1 the chance is a bit more .

I just have one more doubt , Can I change my visa from F1 - H1 without having an OPT , for this scenario is there any minimum required time I have to be on F1 status ?

Regards
    Amrapali

4. Ron Gotcher

Ron Gotcher Attorney at Law

You may go from any status to H1B.